One Good Pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’m opposed To using chemicals on a pan.

As far as the oven method, it’s ok to do on my oven. If
Your oven doesn’t allow for it, you can accomplish the same in a super hot gas or charcoal grill.

I feel the same about chemicals in my cookware, but I'm okay with power tools. I think the power tools method is what the OP is planning to do. Am I the only one who got that impression?

CD

I feel the same about chemicals in my cookware, but I'm okay with power tools. I think the power tools method is what the OP is planning to do. Am I the only one who got that impression?

CD

I think you're right. I was just responding to ten speed's post about the SeriousEats chemical method and his oven's restrictions for self-cleaning.

My GE oven has no such restrictions. Besides, if you have to take the racks out, you can just set the pan on the oven floor. If there is an electric coil on the floor, you'd have to stay away from that.

I have found this is the simplest and best cleaning method for cleaning. If others prefer different methods, that's OK with me.

Last edited:
It's not just my oven. The oven in our previous house had the same recommendations. Most manufacturers recommend removing racks.

What If You Leave the Racks in During Oven Cleaning? | Home Guides | SF Gate

It's basically a recommendation, not a requirement. The only thing that has ever happened is that the racks lose their shiny finish. This is the 3rd oven on which I've run the cleaning cycle with the racks in the oven (2 GE's and one Samsung) and they have never suffered any functional damage.

A ScanPan. Best non-stick pan I have ever used. Not quite a slippery as some pans but extremely durable. They are very heavy cast aluminum with a tough as nails coating of ceramic-titanium that allows for the use of metal utensils. They don;t warp under high heat and can go in the oven.

I prefer the classic which has the most comfortable handle but there are other options available. They come in various sizes. this 9.5 inch is my workhorse but I also have a 12.5 inch that is great for crepes, 3 steaks or several pancakes at time.

https://www.amazon.com/Scanpan-Classic-9-1-2-Inch-Fry/dp/B0000CDUUG

Look around for deals on these. Sometime Williams Sonoma bundles them up - 2 pans for a good price. I noticed they had one running today for an 8 and 10 inch pan for 99 dollars.

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]OK I took it to the shop and used a grinder on it then some other sand paper and so on. It came with some divots in the bottom after about an hr. and a half, I oiled it and in the oven twice and at this time it is back in the oven with a loaf of home made Pumpernickel Bread in it.
I think at the worst I'll like it better than before. I think if I get another one I'll just spend the time to find an old one that came with out the preseasoned bottom in it.[/FONT]

There seems to be a disproportionate desire to have a super smooth bottom on you CI skillets. I've been using a couple of Lodge CI skillets for many years (one was naked when I bought and the other was pre-seasoned).

I've been using them both almost daily They are both well seasoned and I can and do fry eggs in these skillets with no issues. I have no problems with foods sticking and cleanup is a snap (probably why I use them so much).

So what's the fascination with the super smooth bottoms on CI skillets other than that's what the idealized skillets of yore were like?

There seems to be a disproportionate desire to have a super smooth bottom on you CI skillets. I've been using a couple of Lodge CI skillets for many years (one was naked when I bought and the other was pre-seasoned).

I've been using them both almost daily They are both well seasoned and I can and do fry eggs in these skillets with no issues. I have no problems with foods sticking and cleanup is a snap (probably why I use them so much).

So what's the fascination with the super smooth bottoms on CI skillets other than that's what the idealized skillets of yore were like?

It is not a huge difference. It is incremental. A modern "rough" CI skillet works well, but the old, smooth CI is just a little bit better. You get the heat holding attributes of CI, with the surface of a carbon steel or SS pan.

It is hard to explain. For me, it is just a little bit better, mostly for cooking more delicate foods, like a fried egg, or baking cornbread. For something like pan-fried chicken, where you have the meat in a half-inch of oil, the old, smooth stuff doesn't make any difference, IMO.

CD

Last edited:
I tried the preseasoned one and everything stuck to it the other 2 we have work just fine and I guess i'm just old fashioned and a believer in if it works don't fix it so I guess that the new pans are just a cheaper way to make them.

I just took the bread out let it cool a bit and ate some cooked great for bread I'll try eggs in the morning and let you know about that.

I thought to ask the same question. I didn't fry my steak in "1/2 inch of oil" in my new Lodge. After running it through the seasoning cycle in the afternoon, I cooked a ribeye steak for dinner. I just gave the pan a shot of canola cooking spray after it was hot, then immediately put the steak on - no sticking at all. I can't imagine that a smoother cooking surface could have make the least difference. I will be using it some more this weekend, so I'll be making some different things, but the early returns are that for $19 and about 3½ hours total in the oven to ensure the seasoning, I'm quite happy with what I have.

I have a lot of CI, some smooth, some rough. I do not see a difference in performance. That being said, I also do not understand the obsession either.

Mark

With these old hands, CI is just too heavy for me to lift anymore. So for $5 a piece, my supermarket sells non stick pans. Not the best on the market, but I buy the small one suitable for a fried egg or two and the next size up. For $10 they last about six or a little more. Toss them out when they are too scratched up and buy two more new ones. I use the smaller one more. So the larger one lasts a bit longer.

And for those of you with CI, if you have a grease buildup on the outside, place your CI pan on the coals of your grill after you are through cooking. Close the cover while the coals are burning out. Then when all the grease is warm, chip it all off with a chisel.

I don't think there is any such thing, but I suppose if you have to go with just one then Cast Iron or Carbon Steel would be the best choice. But those are both high maintenance if you want non-stick and neither are very efficient heat conductors. Both have an index of around 85 vs. 200 for aluminum and 400 for copper.

Back
Top Bottom