"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 07-31-2016, 12:52 PM   #1
Master Chef

One Major Sous Vide Disadvantage (for me)

TIME.

Here I was all excited after getting an immersion sous vide machine and now realized I need to allow 2 to 4 hours of time from prep to table. Well, I guess I knew this.....well, I did... I even picked up a double pack of tri tip from Costco the other day but realizing I won't be able to do this until my next day off I threw them in the freezer.

I work til 7pm most days and even if I want a simple steak it looks like I'm going to have to resort to traditional methods.

Now, is there a trick where I can sous vide a couple of steaks the night before and sear and serve the following night?

Old 07-31-2016, 01:55 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I'm sure that in a few generations, when all fingers are fused together as supports for their "devices", where the thumbs are the only articulating appendage, they can rely on the kitchen bots to deal with it.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:11 PM   #3
Master Chef

When I retire I'll have the time to play with all my toys.....
Old 07-31-2016, 02:22 PM   #4
Head Chef

You should get excited about Sous Vide. What you think is a disavantage is actually a advantage. You can cook several steaks in the Sou Vide at one time. I use 130 degrees, and if you use the temperature you want you want your steaks to be they will not cook past that temperature.You cool them in Ice bath in the bag. Store them In the fridge or freezer untill you ready to use. 5 minutes to set up your Sou Vide 5 minutes to set up and sear. Just refer to the charts out there for time . Tough cuts you cook longer than tender cuts.

Have Fun
Josie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
TIME.

Here I was all excited after getting an immersion sous vide machine and now realized I need to allow 2 to 4 hours of time from prep to table. Well, I guess I knew this.....well, I did... I even picked up a double pack of tri tip from Costco the other day but realizing I won't be able to do this until my next day off I threw them in the freezer.

I work til 7pm most days and even if I want a simple steak it looks like I'm going to have to resort to traditional methods.

Now, is there a trick where I can sous vide a couple of steaks the night before and sear and serve the following night?
Old 07-31-2016, 02:30 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie1945 View Post
You cool them in Ice bath in the bag. Store them In the fridge or freezer untill you ready to use. 5 minutes to set up your Sou Vide 5 minutes to set up and sear.
Are you saying that I can bring the sealed meat back up to temp (say, 130*) and ready to sear in 5 minutes?
Old 07-31-2016, 02:50 PM   #6
Head Chef

Yes, Unless it is real thick. I put the bag in the sink
and run hot water over it while my skillet is getting
smoking hot. When you have time to play with the
unit you will be amazed. I would start with boneless
skinless chicken breast. I have had my Sous Vide
over 3 years and still love it.

Josie
Old 07-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #7
Master Chef

Awesome, thanks!
Old 07-31-2016, 03:33 PM   #8
Master Chef

Josie, I'm also reading this with lots of interest. So if I understand correctly, after you've let the Sous Vide do it's thing, you can freeze a steak in it's packet then defrost it with what method before searing?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:16 PM   #9
Head Chef

Kayelle, If you cooked your meat at 130 degrees. you can heat your water
Bath to 130 degrees and and it will take it back to that temperature. Or you can thaw it in the fridge. It has never been a issue for me. Just don't thaw it
at a higher temperature than you cooked it at .You are a awesome cook go
for it.
Josie

Josie, I'm also reading this with lots of interest. So if I understand correctly, after you've let the Sous Vide do it's thing, you can freeze a steak in it's packet then defrost it with what method before searing?[/QUOTE]
Old 07-31-2016, 04:33 PM   #10
Master Chef

So, if I sous vide a 2.5 lb tri tip roast tonight at 135* for say, 2 to 3 hours, then ice it and leave it in the fridge til tomorrow night is it safe to assume it'll take about an hour to bring it back up to 135* in the water bath?
Also, would this additional time in the second bath for that extra length of time change anything in the roast, as in becoming too tender?