Opening Cans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
Why is it that I can never properly open a can of food? Almost always two spots on the can refuse to open with a good hand held opener. I remember when I was a kid we never had that problem. My dh says that it's just the aluminum cans are so cheaply made that they don't function well. Is that the case? Or am I just inept?

I had a swing-o-matic but after many years it just seemed to give up the ghost. So I bought a new one, it died in no time. I looked up the profi plus can opener on amazon. It said "usually ships in 1 to 2 months". I'm not willing to wait that long!

I use either an OXO hand-held or a Cooks that cuts into the side of the top and removes the top and part of the rim. Both work great. The Cook's failed once on a tomato paste can.

I have an OXO hand held opener. Works well. The one I had a lock to hold it to the can which broke fairly quickly. It works better without the lock.

I have had good luck with most things OXO.

Can openers are indeed are not as good as they used to be.

I agree.
I think all cans should be pop-tops.
The one that came with my old house, screwed to the wall, works great on everything. The ones found in the gadget aisle of the grocery store, even the "fancy" ones with colored plastic handles, start having mishaps in a year or two. They just can't navigate the dents, or anything else probably thin can related. I don't open many cans though, so I keep waiting for them all to go pop-top.

I have a Swing-A-Way hand held that I probably bought in the early '80s. Still works fine. The Hubster thought it was the style I liked, so he bought me an imitation Swing-A-Way, because mine is so old. The imitation is a POS.

The funny (to me) thing is, his favourite can opener is a wall mounted Swing-A-Way. :LOL: It works just dandy too.

I looked up the profi plus can opener on amazon. It said "usually ships in 1 to 2 months". I'm not willing to wait that long!

Wow - I can't believe that! - it must be a new policy! Mine came very fast. It's too bad - it's so good, and I know you'd have no problems.

If you are having trouble with a hand held opener, it sometimes helps to spray the gear with WD40, or even cooking spray (all I had handy once, but it worked).

... to spray the gear with WD40, or even cooking spray (all I had handy once, but it worked).

haha My WD40 went MIA :mad: so I used a squirt of EVOO in my Misto can to spay the bottom hinge on my fridge that had an annoying little squeak. I haven't heard a peep out of it since last summer!

I use either an OXO hand-held or a Cooks that cuts into the side of the top and removes the top and part of the rim. Both work great. The Cook's failed once on a tomato paste can.

I use the same type but mine is by OXO. OXO Good Grips Smooth Edge Can Opener

I love it! It's never failed on me and I like how the top removes cleanly without touching the food. It's also safer since it doesn't leave any sharp edges. You can also reuse the top if you want to store any unused food. I love it so much I've given them to friends and family as gifts!

When my neighbor lent me his meat slicer he said if it sticks to squirt cooking spray onto the track, that is what he did. Well it was sticky, but the track was all gummy, I'm assuming from that cooking spray and anything else that might stick to the spray. I ended up cleaning it for him and it worked fine. Just sayin', I like the idea of a food safe non-stick spray, but I don't think it works as well on mechanical devices as is does a muffin pan.

Of course, I would rather taste butter flavored Pam in my canned tomatoes than WD-40 :LOL:

My SWAK and GI can openers have worked fine for decades and are easy to clean. The old Edlunds worked well but were difficult to clean. The majority of Edlund's line of openers have become somewhat pricey but many have some nice features..

I don't understand what all the fuss is... about a simple can opener!? :hammer:

Mine is a FarberWare (at WalMart)and costs $14.64. It has always worked and is easy to use even with arthritic hands. :boxing:

I don't think it's so much "fuss", as it is sharing ideas on what works at present. Especially if the OP is looking to make a purchase.
Discussing even simple kitchen items and tools is almost as fun as discussing thawing chicken :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom