"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 05-02-2016, 05:19 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Oven Gauze to support Beef Wellington

Hi All,

In a couple of weeks I'll be cooking Beef Wellington for a dinner party. I have cooked Beef Wellington before and sometimes the pastry at the base can be soggy.

I would appreciate thoughts on whether a non-stick chip gauze such as the one in the link below could be used to allow any oil to drip from the Wellington into the oven and not remain in the pastry:-

2 Universal Oven Reusable Non Stick Mesh Chip Baking Browning Tray Basket | eBay

I am wondering whethere putting the Wellington on something like this will stop the base patry getting soggy.

I am of course wary of whether I will be able to remove the Wellington from the gauze as it exits the oven.

Thoughts would be appreciated please

MV Owner

Old 05-02-2016, 05:41 AM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Owner View Post
Hi All,

In a couple of weeks I'll be cooking Beef Wellington for a dinner party. I have cooked Beef Wellington before and sometimes the pastry at the base can be soggy.

I would appreciate thoughts on whether a non-stick chip gauze such as the one in the link below could be used to allow any oil to drip from the Wellington into the oven and not remain in the pastry:-

2 Universal Oven Reusable Non Stick Mesh Chip Baking Browning Tray Basket | eBay

I am wondering whethere putting the Wellington on something like this will stop the base patry getting soggy.

I am of course wary of whether I will be able to remove the Wellington from the gauze as it exits the oven.

Thoughts would be appreciated please

MV Owner
Not totally sure if it's pliable or not, but you'd have to put it on a sheet tray regardless and it probably would puff thru the mesh. You could also try something like this Range Kleen Broiler Pan - Black : Target
Not sure what they are called in UK but I'm sure you have them too. Or, you could use Silicone Baking Sheet | eBay or even make just a foil "snake" to support them.

Welcome to DC

Old 05-02-2016, 05:51 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

thanks medran, I'll go for something like you have suggested, Also Im thinking one of these would help me:-

Non-Stick Pizza Pan 12" 35CM PRIMA Carbon Steel Baking Round Oven Vented Tray | eBay
Old 05-02-2016, 06:15 AM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Owner View Post
thanks medran, I'll go for something like you have suggested, Also Im thinking one of these would help me:-

Non-Stick Pizza Pan 12" 35CM PRIMA Carbon Steel Baking Round Oven Vented Tray | eBay
Puff pastry will DEFINITELY puff through the holes on that, don't ask me how I know.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:23 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks for that advice, I don't want to find out the hard way!!!

Tags
beef, oven