Oven/Grill Gloves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RPCookin

Executive Chef
Just curious as to how anyone feels about some of the newer offerings in the silicone glove market. I see some with raised nubbies that are supposed to keep the heat away from your hands.

I've been thinking about THESE to keep in the garage to use with my smoker and grill. Fairly pricey, but the reviews are good and the company seems to be very responsive to customer issues.

The trouble is, I still have the pair that came with my Showtime Rotisserie. The gloves are best part of that entire purchase - the appliance has long since gone to the scrap heap. Hard to justify $27 when I still have a pair that are serviceable. I guess that my GAS is showing (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

I don't want any more cloth gloves. I prefer having fingers, and the cloth ones get food on them, then get shrunk or misshapen (or just fall apart) in the wash. I don't want them for handling hot pans so much as for handling the hot foods directly.

Anyone using any of these happily?

I have a pair of the Ekogrips. I don't use them very often as they're too big and unwieldly on me, and I find them to not be very flexible. Maybe if you get a pair that fits your hands well, RP, they might work better for you.

I have a pair of these that I like a lot. I was part of a grilling contest team several years ago, and loaned them to the guy running the grill. They were very helpful: Calphalon Textiles Thumb Mitt

Those are the type of mitts that I don't want. I'm looking for a glove, with fingers, and no fabric on the outside. The ones that came with my Showtime are fabric lined (not insulated, but still pretty heat resistant), but have an all silicone outer layer.

Those are the type of mitts that I don't want. I'm looking for a glove, with fingers, and no fabric on the outside. The ones that came with my Showtime are fabric lined (not insulated, but still pretty heat resistant), but have an all silicone outer layer.

Okay, sorry about the fingers, but the stripes are silicone and the gloves are rated up to 500°F. These have been washed several times and look just like they did when I bought them, except for some staining from use, which I don't mind.

Last edited:
The reason I'm being so specific is because I like handling a whole chicken or pork putt or rack of ribs without utensils, just pick it up and turn it over. Also handy for holding a pot roast or similar while getting a quick sear on all 6 sides before I braise it. Much easier than trying to hold and maneuver it with tongs or a couple of forks.

I have a silcone pot holder. It is good for picking up food as it is non-absorbant and can be easily washed in the sink or dishwasher. But, I find that though it doesn't get damaged my high heat, it isn't nearly as insulating as my old fashioned fabric pot holders. Also, as Dawg mentioned, they are kinda stiff in use.

I got my Ekogrips primarily for canning and grilling. I found them to be really clumsy, but maybe I just need to get used to them. I think if they fit my hands better, they would work great. The company is really responsive, and follows up with you after your purchase. Apparently, many said that the gloves were too small, so they made bigger sizes.

My GF gave me a pair of "Tuff Gloves" Good for 480 degrees. They work fine.

img_1426714_0_bce39e60f0ef816040cb118989657c9a.jpg

Is $27 really a big expense for you? For some, it isn't. But if it is, then let your wife have your present ones and treat yourself to what you really want. Just be willing to give some little other luxury up for a while. As you said, the reviews are really good. I did read most of them. Both the one stars and five stars. They do take getting used to, the designer certainly wants you to be happy with them, and as far as being greasy after handling food, I would think a nice fluffy towel and a good rubbing would make it easier to get them off. Most of the grease would be on the towel. For those that complained that they are difficult, perhaps they had ordered them too small to begin with.

It sounds like if you don't like them or have a great deal of difficulty adjusting to them, you can return them and get a full refund. I say go for it. You really have nothing to lose. :angel:

Is $27 really a big expense for you? For some, it isn't. But if it is, then let your wife have your present ones and treat yourself to what you really want. Just be willing to give some little other luxury up for a while. As you said, the reviews are really good. I did read most of them. Both the one stars and five stars. They do take getting used to, the designer certainly wants you to be happy with them, and as far as being greasy after handling food, I would think a nice fluffy towel and a good rubbing would make it easier to get them off. Most of the grease would be on the towel. For those that complained that they are difficult, perhaps they had ordered them too small to begin with.

It sounds like if you don't like them or have a great deal of difficulty adjusting to them, you can return them and get a full refund. I say go for it. You really have nothing to lose. :angel:

Not really expensive, just as compared to most of the other offerings in that line. Also more than just being satisfied with what I have. :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom