"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 06-15-2006, 08:48 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Oven Mitts

My favorites I picked up a few years ago in a home improvement store on clearance sale for about three bucks a pair. I bought their last two. They were being sold as "fireplace gloves" and are basically welder's gloves in light blue. They're pretty dandy, though. Cuffs that come almost up to my elbows, with fingers that I find a good deal less cumbersome than the regular mitts.

I've looked at the silicone ones, which would certainly still work when wet, (the leather ones do not) but look and feel a bit clumsy.

Any thoughts?

Kelly

Old 06-15-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I use pot holders. No silicone.

Old 06-16-2006, 12:07 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I use pot holders. No silicone.
So what about when you want to flip a turkey? I've found potholders completely inadequate to this task.

Kelly
Old 06-16-2006, 12:24 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Most often, my oven mitts are flesh colored and blister when they contact a heat source. I don't have much of a learning curve.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:47 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti
Most often, my oven mitts are flesh colored and blister when they contact a heat source. I don't have much of a learning curve.
LOL!

Kelly
Old 06-16-2006, 04:49 AM   #6
Executive Chef

KellyM
I've bought lots of pairs of oven gloves, pot holders etc over the years - none of which were very satisfactory. But we have a great company in the UK (incidentally, one of my favourite online shops and their store in Edinburgh is a treasure-trove!) who make a great pair of oven gloves and I've been really satisfied with them. As they are made from an American fibre, I would think the same gloves must be available in the USA, under a different trade name. I have the shorter-cuffed version, but the long ones sound similar to the leather ones you own.

http://www.lakelandlimited.co.uk/pro...tchenwear!1800
Old 06-16-2006, 09:22 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
KellyM
I've bought lots of pairs of oven gloves, pot holders etc over the years - none of which were very satisfactory. But we have a great company in the UK (incidentally, one of my favourite online shops and their store in Edinburgh is a treasure-trove!) who make a great pair of oven gloves and I've been really satisfied with them. As they are made from an American fibre, I would think the same gloves must be available in the USA, under a different trade name. I have the shorter-cuffed version, but the long ones sound similar to the leather ones you own.

http://www.lakelandlimited.co.uk/pro...tchenwear!1800
Ishbel,

Yes, Nomex is a fire-proof material used in fire-suits for race-car drivers, as I recall. So you've used these, as you said. How are they when wet?

Kelly
Old 06-16-2006, 09:29 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM
Ishbel,

Yes, Nomex is a fire-proof material used in fire-suits for race-car drivers, as I recall. So you've used these, as you said. How are they when wet?

Kelly
I've never got them wet! I haven't even needed to wash them yet I bought them before Christmas 06 and they are performing well. I only use them when I'm cooking large roasts or casseroles or heavy dishes in the oven, though.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:30 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM
So what about when you want to flip a turkey? I've found potholders completely inadequate to this task.

Kelly
Well, actually I don't flip turkeys. However, I wouldn't use pot holders (or oven mitts, etc.) to handle food, just hardware. When I lift a roasted turkey out of its pan, I do so by sticking a large wooden spoon or fork into the cavity and use my hand, insulated with some paper towels, on the outside.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:49 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I'd do it your way, too, AndyM. Maybe that's why my oven gloves don't get greasy or dirty enough to wash yet!