"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-15-2006, 08:48 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 151
Oven Mitts

My favorites I picked up a few years ago in a home improvement store on clearance sale for about three bucks a pair. I bought their last two. They were being sold as "fireplace gloves" and are basically welder's gloves in light blue. They're pretty dandy, though. Cuffs that come almost up to my elbows, with fingers that I find a good deal less cumbersome than the regular mitts.

I've looked at the silicone ones, which would certainly still work when wet, (the leather ones do not) but look and feel a bit clumsy.

Any thoughts?

Kelly

__________________

__________________
KellyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,395
I use pot holders. No silicone.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:07 AM   #3
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I use pot holders. No silicone.
So what about when you want to flip a turkey? I've found potholders completely inadequate to this task.

Kelly
__________________
KellyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:24 AM   #4
Sous Chef
 
vyapti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 871
Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Most often, my oven mitts are flesh colored and blister when they contact a heat source. I don't have much of a learning curve.
__________________
vyapti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:47 AM   #5
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti
Most often, my oven mitts are flesh colored and blister when they contact a heat source. I don't have much of a learning curve.
LOL!

Kelly
__________________
KellyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:49 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2,977
KellyM
I've bought lots of pairs of oven gloves, pot holders etc over the years - none of which were very satisfactory. But we have a great company in the UK (incidentally, one of my favourite online shops and their store in Edinburgh is a treasure-trove!) who make a great pair of oven gloves and I've been really satisfied with them. As they are made from an American fibre, I would think the same gloves must be available in the USA, under a different trade name. I have the shorter-cuffed version, but the long ones sound similar to the leather ones you own.

http://www.lakelandlimited.co.uk/pro...tchenwear!1800
__________________
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:22 AM   #7
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
KellyM
I've bought lots of pairs of oven gloves, pot holders etc over the years - none of which were very satisfactory. But we have a great company in the UK (incidentally, one of my favourite online shops and their store in Edinburgh is a treasure-trove!) who make a great pair of oven gloves and I've been really satisfied with them. As they are made from an American fibre, I would think the same gloves must be available in the USA, under a different trade name. I have the shorter-cuffed version, but the long ones sound similar to the leather ones you own.

http://www.lakelandlimited.co.uk/pro...tchenwear!1800
Ishbel,

Yes, Nomex is a fire-proof material used in fire-suits for race-car drivers, as I recall. So you've used these, as you said. How are they when wet?

Kelly
__________________
KellyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:29 AM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM
Ishbel,

Yes, Nomex is a fire-proof material used in fire-suits for race-car drivers, as I recall. So you've used these, as you said. How are they when wet?

Kelly
I've never got them wet! I haven't even needed to wash them yet I bought them before Christmas 06 and they are performing well. I only use them when I'm cooking large roasts or casseroles or heavy dishes in the oven, though.
__________________
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:30 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM
So what about when you want to flip a turkey? I've found potholders completely inadequate to this task.

Kelly
Well, actually I don't flip turkeys. However, I wouldn't use pot holders (or oven mitts, etc.) to handle food, just hardware. When I lift a roasted turkey out of its pan, I do so by sticking a large wooden spoon or fork into the cavity and use my hand, insulated with some paper towels, on the outside.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:49 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2,977
I'd do it your way, too, AndyM. Maybe that's why my oven gloves don't get greasy or dirty enough to wash yet!
__________________

__________________
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.