Oven Mitts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KellyM

Senior Cook
My favorites I picked up a few years ago in a home improvement store on clearance sale for about three bucks a pair. I bought their last two. They were being sold as "fireplace gloves" and are basically welder's gloves in light blue. They're pretty dandy, though. Cuffs that come almost up to my elbows, with fingers that I find a good deal less cumbersome than the regular mitts.

I've looked at the silicone ones, which would certainly still work when wet, (the leather ones do not) but look and feel a bit clumsy.

Any thoughts?

Kelly

Most often, my oven mitts are flesh colored and blister when they contact a heat source. I don't have much of a learning curve.

KellyM
I've bought lots of pairs of oven gloves, pot holders etc over the years - none of which were very satisfactory. But we have a great company in the UK (incidentally, one of my favourite online shops and their store in Edinburgh is a treasure-trove!) who make a great pair of oven gloves and I've been really satisfied with them. As they are made from an American fibre, I would think the same gloves must be available in the USA, under a different trade name. I have the shorter-cuffed version, but the long ones sound similar to the leather ones you own.

http://www.lakelandlimited.co.uk/product.aspx/cookbake/kitchenwear!1800

Ishbel said:
KellyM
I've bought lots of pairs of oven gloves, pot holders etc over the years - none of which were very satisfactory. But we have a great company in the UK (incidentally, one of my favourite online shops and their store in Edinburgh is a treasure-trove!) who make a great pair of oven gloves and I've been really satisfied with them. As they are made from an American fibre, I would think the same gloves must be available in the USA, under a different trade name. I have the shorter-cuffed version, but the long ones sound similar to the leather ones you own.

http://www.lakelandlimited.co.uk/product.aspx/cookbake/kitchenwear!1800

Ishbel,

Yes, Nomex is a fire-proof material used in fire-suits for race-car drivers, as I recall. So you've used these, as you said. How are they when wet?

Kelly

KellyM said:
Ishbel,

Yes, Nomex is a fire-proof material used in fire-suits for race-car drivers, as I recall. So you've used these, as you said. How are they when wet?

Kelly

I've never got them wet! I haven't even needed to wash them yet :) I bought them before Christmas 06 and they are performing well. I only use them when I'm cooking large roasts or casseroles or heavy dishes in the oven, though.

KellyM said:
So what about when you want to flip a turkey? I've found potholders completely inadequate to this task.

Kelly

Well, actually I don't flip turkeys. However, I wouldn't use pot holders (or oven mitts, etc.) to handle food, just hardware. When I lift a roasted turkey out of its pan, I do so by sticking a large wooden spoon or fork into the cavity and use my hand, insulated with some paper towels, on the outside.

I'd do it your way, too, AndyM. Maybe that's why my oven gloves don't get greasy or dirty enough to wash yet!

Andy M. said:
Well, actually I don't flip turkeys. However, I wouldn't use pot holders (or oven mitts, etc.) to handle food, just hardware. When I lift a roasted turkey out of its pan, I do so by sticking a large wooden spoon or fork into the cavity and use my hand, insulated with some paper towels, on the outside.

When I cook a turkey, it's usually a large bird, 24 lb. or better. I like leftovers! Consequently, I don't think the wooden spoon method would work.

When I roast a turkey in the oven, I start it breast down, and then turn it over for the breast to brown. As I don't want to poke holes in it for juices to run out, what I do is to cover my gloves with plastic bags, grab it, and turn it over. Even with the plastic bags, I find the gloves work better than mitts.

Kelly

Right now I am using those silicone squares. They do the job, but I am not crazy about them. They actually do not protect against heat as much as I expected.

They are fine for just quick jobs, but it you were to pull a saute pan out of a hot oven and hold the handle with it for a short while then it would start to get hot right through the silicone.

That's what I'm talkin' about! I've wondered about those things! My leather gloves are pretty much the same, but at least they're leather gloves, know whut I mean?

Kelly

Last edited:
What I do like about them though Kelly is that they double as trivits. As Alton would say, no single taskers :LOL:

GB said:
What I do like about them though Kelly is that they double as trivits. As Alton would say, no single taskers :LOL:

LOL! I love it! No single-taskers indeed, and I totally agree! I have used my gloves as trivets, but they make particularly lumpy and uneven ones. :LOL:

Kelly

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom