"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Old 10-13-2004, 10:41 PM   #11
Executive Chef
I am a firm believer in a pizza stone, having had one for years. I've also had an oven thermometer for even longer, and noticed that my ovens usually burn 25 - 35°F hotter than indicated on the dial because of this.

Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:59 PM   #12
Master Chef
I know what you're talking about Lifter - but I sure wouldn't want the average person to start pulling apart their stove and sticking VOM probes into wires when the probably wouldn't know what they were doing. And, unless they have a schematic and know what they are doing - they are not going to be able to make the proper adjustments.

Believe it or not ... a $5 oven thermometer does work. Yes, when you open the oven door for a quick peek the temp drops about 10 degrees (and more depending on how long the door is open). But, the old coil oven thermometer does not react that quickly to the temperature change.

Use the probe to be exact if you wish - but use the cheap oven thermometer to get within the ballpark to begin with.

Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:48 PM   #13
Sorry Michael, but I doubt there'd be all that line drop between the mains and the stove, so I'd measure it at the source, as opposed the appliance!

I've had any number of thermometers in the past 30 years that have failed, on first, second or third use (admittedly, some of the faults will defer to me, in the manner I used them, but too many times, it was just getting too cheap with an instrument to have any trust in it, in retrospect...)

As Allen MI indicates, placing a "pizza stone" in the ovem might throw the whole measuring system out, and it damn sure must make the oven thermometer wonky!

Note my very expensie gas BBQ of 20 year age has "hot spots" in the weirdest places...maybe its just its "inner child" playing with matches!

Lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 02:46 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
not being the most experienced cook, i bought the williams sonoma meat thermometer and a seperate stove thermometer. between the two, i haven't under or over cooked anything since...
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 12:20 AM   #15
Master Chef
Well lifter - I did make a mistake ... don't get a metal coil oven thermometer - get a mercury one.

Now - as for the mains voltage ... if you hook up a circular "strip chart" recorder and measure the mains voltage over several days you will see it fluctuates. Since the heating of the oven is controlled by the thermostat - not the mains voltage - then you have to find the zero and scale calibrations for the thermostat. In a perfect world - you would have the knowhow to do this - or pay someone to do it - every 6-months to a year.

Now - as to pizza stones, or fire bricks, in the oven ... heck yes it's going to throw a new twist into the ballgame. In fact - they change the dynamics of the oven.

Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote