"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 06-20-2006, 12:21 PM   #31
Head Chef

I attended one PC party. The hostess made some sort of wreath shaped bread/sandwich thing. As she was working on the recipe, she passed around the utensils she was about to use. When I saw her use the spatula that everyone in the group had just been fondling to spread the filling onto her bread, I suddenly developed a headache and left.

The quality beats the pants off Walmart cooking tools, but the prices are outrageous. Better to go to Cooking.com or Amazon.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:44 PM   #32
Executive Chef

That IS disgusting!!

I think I would have done the same thing. Your "headache" was a good excuse to get out of there. Good thinking!!

She needs to practice Serv-Save like I did during my Culinary Arts training course!!! She needs to be taught about pathagens, germs and diseases!!!

And if she ever invites you to any of HER parties again, just kindly decline and say that your "headache" has come back.

~Corey123.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:53 AM   #33
Senior Cook

I would have gone one step further before I left. I would have made it a point to TELL the hostess what she did so she is aware that this is NOT acceptable. Shame on her. I doubt if she even washed her hands before preparing the meal. No thanks.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:21 PM   #34
Master Chef

I used a Pampered Chef tool this past weekend...It's a little barbell looking thing with a small non-stick roller on one end, and a larger one on the other. I was making my husband a gooey butter cake, and the tool was perfect for pressing out the crust. It will be great for graham cracker crusts or pizza dough as well.
It was a bit pricey, but I don't feel cheated.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:28 PM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I used a Pampered Chef tool this past weekend...It's a little barbell looking thing with a small non-stick roller on one end, and a larger one on the other. I was making my husband a gooey butter cake, and the tool was perfect for pressing out the crust. It will be great for graham cracker crusts or pizza dough as well.
It was a bit pricey, but I don't feel cheated.

My SO has that tool. It has a little pie crust docking tool in the handle. She uses the docking tool more than the rollers.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:16 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

I agree with everyone about the price and quality of the stoneware. I've got about $300 worth of merchandise, between stoneware and cookbooks. However, I use the stoneware sparingly because they're so hard to clean. Is there an easier way besides piping hot water and those stupid brown scrapers?
Old 07-03-2006, 03:57 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Deborah
my understanding of cleaning stoneware is not to use any soap or chemicals on it as stoneware is porous and it will stay in there, hence in your food. kind of like cast iron, I guess.
I clean mine just like you said, hot water and scraper. It's supposed to get brown, it bakes better when it does.

that's all I know
Old 07-03-2006, 06:20 PM   #38
Assistant Cook

Thanks, Kathy.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:45 PM   #39
Assistant Cook

Hi,
In reply to the Stonware, the oils from foods is what seasons the stone, by using soap that would counteract the seasoning process and also make your stones soapy smelling. Instead use warm water and the scraper tool that comes with your stone to clean it. They are very easy to clean.
To Deep Clean your stone prepare a baking soda paste by mixing 1/2 cup baking soda with 3 tablespoons water. Apply baking soda paste to stone and let sit for 15-20 minutes. Scrape off excess paste using the Nylon Pan Scraper, then rinse and dry.
Bacteria is actually better removed by friction, which is why it is always good to scrape your stone. Bacteria is also killed when the stone is in the oven. Pampered Chef has never had any problems nor worries about stones not being clean for baking purposes.
Anyway, just wanted to address any concerns.
Amy