Parchment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Philip D

Assistant Cook
I just wanted to know whats the difference between parchment and greaseproof paper

Parchment paper is made to be non-stick and heat proof up to about 450º F. It's used on baking sheets so baked items won't stick to the pan.

Greaseproof paper is just that. It's made to wrap foods and block grease leakage.

If you are baking with or cooking in parchment make sure the package says "parchment paper" , don't make the same mistake I did by using "wax paper" The two ARE NOT the interchangable. I ruined a dish that way.:wacko:

If you are baking with or cooking in parchment make sure the package says "parchment paper" , don't make the same mistake I did by using "wax paper" The two ARE NOT the interchangable. I ruined a dish that way.:wacko:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Thanks for my laugh for the day. I needed it. I use wax paper when I am baking. I sift or measure dry ingredients onto it and then slide the ingredients into the mixer. My mother always wrapped my sandwiches in wax paper and I still do to this day. Old habits die hard. :chef:

I use wax paper when I blind bake pie crust. I put raw pastry in plate line with wax paper, fill with pie weights, bake for 10 minutes, remove wax paper and weights and finish baking for 2 minutes. I have never had a problem. BUT I don't use wax paper for any other "cooking". I mostly use wax paper for prepping things and in between layers of whatever such as crepes, blintz, spinach pies etc.

I use wax paper when I blind bake pie crust. I put raw pastry in plate line with wax paper, fill with pie weights, bake for 10 minutes, remove wax paper and weights and finish baking for 2 minutes. I have never had a problem. BUT I don't use wax paper for any other "cooking". I mostly use wax paper for prepping things and in between layers of whatever such as crepes, blintz, spinach pies etc.

Wax paper has been around for ages. It still has a place in the kitchen. So many uses. Plastic wrap doesn't always cut it. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom