"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 05-05-2008, 03:48 AM   #11
Master Chef

If you're baking on a sheet pan ... using silicone baking mats (such as SilPat or other brands) are actually significantly cheaper per use than parchment paper. We had a discussion about this 3-4 years ago - I can't find the thread - but I compared the prices.

When making tortillas, hamburger patties, etc, - parchment paper is no more non-stick than waxed-paper.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:37 AM   #12
Master Chef

why you can find expensive $$$$ parchment paper and not wax I don't know....don't have much of a choice....I do roll up my p. paper and reuse it if it's still bakeable (don't know if that is a word or not

Old 05-07-2008, 12:28 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
If you're baking on a sheet pan ... using silicone baking mats (such as SilPat or other brands) are actually significantly cheaper per use than parchment paper. We had a discussion about this 3-4 years ago - I can't find the thread - but I compared the prices.
I hadn't thought about the price. The silicone seemed fairly tacky. Can they still be slid off the sheet to cool?
Old 05-07-2008, 12:37 AM   #14
Head Chef

I admit I like being able to just toss the parchment paper out instead of having to wash the silicon.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:17 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
I hadn't thought about the price. The silicone seemed fairly tacky. Can they still be slid off the sheet to cool?
If you are talking about sliding the mat off the pan - it would probably be a problem unless you could find one that only has silicone on one side. One of the advantages of the silicone mats is that although food doesn't stick to them - they do tend to grip a counter-top and don't slide around, I assume they would do the same to a baking sheet.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #16
Senior Cook

To you, all the good bakers, can one of you tell me: Do I have to butter/oil the parchment cups to make muffins? I made some 2 days ago, but the paper really stick to the muffin, you finish eating only half of it.
Thanks a lot for any enlightment about it...
Old 05-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I buy the brown parchment paper. It hasn't been treated with chlorine like the white parchment has and is better for the environment, and better for humans, too.

I reuse the parchment paper all the time. I just reverse it if the original side isn't too gunky.

The silicone mats are good too. You can find those at the discount stores like Tuesday Morning, etc. I put mine in the dishwasher and it cleans up nicely.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:05 PM   #18
Master Chef

I don't if you use Reynold's parchment paper , it is coated with silicone on one side so if you use the wrong side , the baked goods can stick to the paper.