"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 04-26-2008, 11:07 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Parchment paper

One of the neatest things that I found was parchment paper already cut to fit a cookie sheet. It lays flat. When you buy it in a roll it always wants to roll up on you and gets worse nearer the end of the roll. When you buy it cookie sheet size it comes folded in half but lays out flat nicely. Roy

Old 04-26-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Roy, I know it sounds silly but, when I get to the end of my roll of parchment paper, I take the sheet of parchment and ball it up as if I'm going to throw it away. You get the idea. Then smooth it out with my hands and put it onto my cookie sheet or onto whatever pan I want to use it on. Works every time. Doing this seems to get rid of the extreme "curl" in the paper.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
Head Chef

Oh gosh, I love parchment paper, and I can't buy it anywhere here, so I always bring some back when I go to the states and have people who are visiting bring it to me. I also use it in my tortilla press when I make tortillas. They don't stick at all and are easy to peel off and then cook on the griddle. I'm down to my last roll.....sigh.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:55 AM   #4
Senior Cook

The restaurant supply store I used to work for sells it pre-cut. It's a full-sheet sized, so I have to split it in half to put it on my pans, but it's easy to do and use.

Katie, that's a good idea! I hadn't thought about crumpling it up to get it flat. If I could find rolls in the right price range, I might try that next time. Currently, the sheets are a better deal for me.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:55 AM   #5
Master Chef

I don't know if I could cook without parchment paper----I only discovered it when I was overseas 18 years ago...........came home and told my neighbor who always baked 10 dozen Easter and Christmas cookies for the neighborhood and she was quite skeptical at first. Then she saw how easy it made her job and she has never turned back since. For myself it's the only way I can make decent pizza crust.........I roll it out and cut around the perimeter of the pizza and then insert it in the pan and bake it---perfect every time..........
Old 04-27-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I sprinkle a litlle water onto the cookie sheet then press the parchment on it. The water holds it flat long enough for me to start putting stuff on it.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:49 AM   #7
Master Chef

maybe I could do that when I make the pizza, too, Andy, will certainly give it a try---thanks for the tip
Old 04-28-2008, 06:17 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Hey Karen-- I love the idea of using parchment paper when making tortillas! I've always used plastic wrap, but it's hard to handle and still tends to stick a bit. Sometimes I even have to use a little oil to keep the dough from sticking. I'm definitely going to try using parchment paper next time. I never even thought of doing this! Cool. :)
Old 04-28-2008, 08:28 AM   #9
Master Chef

well, to keep pizza from sticking, Karenlyn, I use a little bit of cornmeal on the parchment paper
Old 05-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I sprinkle a litlle water onto the cookie sheet then press the parchment on it. The water holds it flat long enough for me to start putting stuff on it.
Hey, that is what I do !