Pasta Machine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
My pasta machine arrived today! I didn't think it had a cutter with it, so I ordered a pasta bike, but it does have a cutter that makes 2 different sizes. I can't wait to use it...I think tomorrow will be the day. :chef:

WOOHOO! Constance! Did you find that cool thread about all the pasta recipes? It has been a Godsend for me.

I love fresh pasta. Not sure where my pasta maker is any more. I think mom might have tossed it in the garbage when my back was turned. There is now a smoothie maker where I had it stored. :(

I sure did, Alix...thank you for telling me about it.

Icy, why don't you ask your mom? She may have it on the top shelf of a closet somewhere.

I'm going to start of with fettucini, and just do a simple sauce with Butter, EVOO, garlic, parmesan and fresh basil out of the garden. Wish me luck!

Mom gets a tad bit defensive when I question her about giving away/tossing out things. She is trying to strip the house of what she calls junk. Unfortunately it is things that I have purchased that she thinks is junk and not her coconut hula girl. ARGGGG :LOL:

IcyMist, YIKES! I guess you know what to ask for as your next birthday present from her.

Constance, I did cannelloni as my first rip with the pasta maker. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. My only tip is to keep a paper towel with olive oil on it nearby to remove and stuck bits in your machine. Oh, and to use more liquid in your sauce than you think you need. It surprised me how much liquid fresh pasta sucked up.

Make sure you tell us how it all went.

It turned out good, Alix, but it seemed my noodles were TOO thin. I had to knead in more flour once we got started, as the dough was sticky. I used Sara Moulton's recipe that uses a food processor...I think next time I'll try it the old fashioned way, or maybe use the processor to mix, then knead in the flour by hand.
Still, even though it wasn't quite perfect, it was delicious, and we had fun making it. I'll keep practicing.
I have a question...how long do you cook fresh pasta? I'm thinking I may have cooked it longer than needed. It isn't falling apart, but it's pretty soft.

I tired that home made pasta thing a few times... it is a LOT of work... too much work for me. ;)

If I want 'fresh' pasta I buy it from the store now. ;)

What jennyema said. When I boil mine I just wait til it starts to float and skim it out. Works like a charm.

Ditto what jennyema and Alix said. It really depends on how thick it is and how much you dry it. Generally - 1-3 minutes. The only way to be sure is to grab a piece and bite into it ... the bad thing is that if it's perfectly the way you want to serve it, you should have removed it 30-45 seconds earlier since it continues to cook from residual heat after it's removed from the water.

I definately cooked it too long...will do better next time.
It was still good, though...tasted better last night. Of course the Alfredo Sauce with shrimp and crabmeat didn't hurt things any.

Back
Top Bottom