"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 03-07-2012, 12:38 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
You can run any bread types through the roller attachment, it would be perfect for pita bread and tortillas.

I have a hand crank Atlas and I love it! Since my KA mixer cannot stay out, it is nothing to set up the Atlas in very little time.
Me too. The Atlas is a great little machine, and it doesn't take exceptional dexterity to use it. In a pinch, my wife and I team up to use it - one feeding and cranking, the other on the receiving end. Just a quick brushing to clean and it's easy to put away. I considered the KA attachment, but it seemed to be more hassle than the Atlas since it's usually just the two of us. I rarely need to make massive batches.

And there is nothing like fresh pasta, even when you can't get semolina - at our new island home in the Bahamas, we don't have the luxury of a full service supermarket. You use what you can get.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
Head Chef

If I bought a pasta maker, I would choose the KA. Probably because I would not have to manually work it [I have a KA mixer], and because I do have arthuritis.

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolady View Post
If I bought a pasta maker, I would choose the KA. Probably because I would not have to manually work it [I have a KA mixer], and because I do have arthuritis.
The dough hook does the kneading and the pasta maker does the rest of the work. Saves your hands and muscles when you have a debilitating condition.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Me too. The Atlas is a great little machine, and it doesn't take exceptional dexterity to use it. In a pinch, my wife and I team up to use it - one feeding and cranking, the other on the receiving end. Just a quick brushing to clean and it's easy to put away. I considered the KA attachment, but it seemed to be more hassle than the Atlas since it's usually just the two of us. I rarely need to make massive batches.

And there is nothing like fresh pasta, even when you can't get semolina - at our new island home in the Bahamas, we don't have the luxury of a full service supermarket. You use what you can get.
My thoughts exactly, Rick. And, now that I have the electric motor retrofitted to the machine, I can easily make any pasta by myself.

Plus, I fully endorse your comment on cleaning. I clean my little Atlas almost exactly as you do and have been doing so for years. It's wonderful little machine.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #15
Everymom

Another vote for the Atlas. I love mine.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I bought a set of pillow cases when I got the Atlas. Brush it off and put in a pillow case and stash in the cupboard. The pillow case keeps the dust off and will catch any flour that is missed when cleaning it off. I do my best to not use any water on it so it won't rust.

Get the pillow cases from the clearance table...cheap appliance covers.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
Master Chef

Mine (I should say my husband's) is a Mercato. I don't remember the brand of the one I bought when we first moved here, but the rollers were so poorly milled that the pasta stuck to them and came out ragged, and they were heck (I'm being nice) to clean.

It really does more or less take two to do it, husband does the bulk of the work, I just take the sheets (then noodles) out, dust with flour, and toss to dry. To me, making the pasta is the social part, and we've had fun with nieces, nephews, and children of friends who just love it. This is our 4th machine, not because they were all bad (besides that one), but because we were moving and were ditching everything that was weighty.

I wouldn't buy a motor for mine because to me it is a pleasurable experience, and the noise would eradicate that. However, if I had a KA anyway, then different story.

We did have something for making extruded pasta, but to be honest, didn't like it as much as, say, Barilla extruded pasta. For me the pasta machine is for fetuccini, spaghetti, angel hair, even lasagna. Rolled pasta. I really can taste the difference there.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Mine (I should say my husband's) is a Mercato. I don't remember the brand of the one I bought when we first moved here, but the rollers were so poorly milled that the pasta stuck to them and came out ragged, and they were heck (I'm being nice) to clean.

It really does more or less take two to do it, husband does the bulk of the work, I just take the sheets (then noodles) out, dust with flour, and toss to dry. To me, making the pasta is the social part, and we've had fun with nieces, nephews, and children of friends who just love it. This is our 4th machine, not because they were all bad (besides that one), but because we were moving and were ditching everything that was weighty.

I wouldn't buy a motor for mine because to me it is a pleasurable experience, and the noise would eradicate that. However, if I had a KA anyway, then different story.

We did have something for making extruded pasta, but to be honest, didn't like it as much as, say, Barilla extruded pasta. For me the pasta machine is for fetuccini, spaghetti, angel hair, even lasagna. Rolled pasta. I really can taste the difference there.
Atlas and Marcato are essentially the same machine with the only difference, at least that I've been able to determine, is the design of the track the cutters slide into.

Yes, Claire, I agree about the "social" part of making homemade pasta, but arthritis is so bad in both my hands I simply cannot stand the pain that results from trying to turn the handle. I put off adding the motor until I couldn't take it any more.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Atlas and Marcato are essentially the same machine with the only difference, at least that I've been able to determine, is the design of the track the cutters slide into.

Yes, Claire, I agree about the "social" part of making homemade pasta, but arthritis is so bad in both my hands I simply cannot stand the pain that results from trying to turn the handle. I put off adding the motor until I couldn't take it any more.
My husband is hoping that our new food processor can start the process, his hands are starting to hurt when he does that part.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I bought a set of pillow cases when I got the Atlas. Brush it off and put in a pillow case and stash in the cupboard. The pillow case keeps the dust off and will catch any flour that is missed when cleaning it off. I do my best to not use any water on it so it won't rust.

Get the pillow cases from the clearance table...cheap appliance covers.
That's a great idea. I think I'll steal it.

Tags
pasta