"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 02-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Pasta maker! Help me choose

I want to buy a pasta maker. I have a kitchenaid so I know they have an attachment ( KitchenAid Stand Mixer Pasta Roller Attachment | Williams-Sonoma)

I think a hand crank one would be too difficult although its a lot cheaper?? What do you think.

I was also considering an extruder type pasta maker ( KitchenAid Pasta Press Attachment | Williams-Sonoma)

It seems a lot easier - that you do not need to keep running the sheets of pasta through the press and it makes macaroni and what not but then I cannot have flat sheets if I wanted ravioli or tortellini. Sometimes I have trouble getting pie dough or pita dough thin enough - you think it can be run through a roller? If so That is what I am getting!

Thanks in advance for all your advice

Old 02-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

A hand crank pasta roller is most certainly cheaper. There are a few on Amazon with good reviews in the sub-$80 range.

An extruder is a different story. I personally think you would be better off buying the KitchenAid model for that.

(I have both KitchenAid pasta attachment kits)

Old 02-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

You can run any bread types through the roller attachment, it would be perfect for pita bread and tortillas.

I have a hand crank Atlas and I love it! Since my KA mixer cannot stay out, it is nothing to set up the Atlas in very little time.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've had this pasta maker since the '70s and couldn't be happier with it. I have an assortment of cutter heads so I can make a variety of pastas. Last fall the arthritis in both my hands prevented me from using it comfortably so I bought an electric Pastadrive motor from Fante's to retrofit it and now I'm back in business.

I considered getting a pasta maker to fit my KitchenAid mixer but, since I already had all the cutters for my Atlas, I opted for the motor. It was also the less costly route.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I've had this pasta maker since the '70s and couldn't be happier with it. I have an assortment of cutter heads so I can make a variety of pastas. Last fall the arthritis in both my hands prevented me from using it comfortably so I bought an electric Pastadrive motor from Fante's to retrofit it and now I'm back in business.

I considered getting a pasta maker to fit my KitchenAid mixer but, since I already had all the cutters for my Atlas, I opted for the motor. It was also the less costly route.
Same here, when my shoulders give out, I will be getting the motor assist for my Atlas.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I do think she should invest in a motorized machine. Whether it be KA or the Atlas, is her choice. If her KA is out all the time, I would think that would be the route to go. The cost of the different attachments will be cheaper than a motorized Atlas from scratch. When I bought the attachments for my KA they were only $25 each. I have never felt the need to buy the extruder.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
Sous Chef

I keep my KA on the counter. It's too heavy to shlep up and down from the cabinet.

Is a hand one alot of work? I don't mind paying $100 more if this attachment will last me a decade.

I am thinking the KA attachment with the roller (not the extruder) so I can pass pita through!!!
Old 02-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
I keep my KA on the counter. It's too heavy to shlep up and down from the cabinet.

Is a hand one alot of work? I don't mind paying $100 more if this attachment will last me a decade.

I am thinking the KA attachment with the roller (not the extruder) so I can pass pita through!!!
"Pasta Roller Attachment Comes complete with Roller, Fegguccine Cutter, Linguine Fin Cutter and Cleaner Brush." Quoted from the box. BTW, the dang box is almost as heavy as the mixer.

So you get three attachments. One roller and two cutters. And brush. They are heavy SS and easy to keep clean and shiny.

From the front of the box. Makes lasagna noodles, fettuccine, and linguine fini.

Hope this answers your question. If not. I will be glad to answer any other questions you may have. I love mine. Saves a lot of hand work. Easy to use. This attachment will last you more than ten years. I have had mine at least for fifteen years. And it still looks and acts like new.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
Cupcake

My pasta maker looks like the one owned by Katie H. I love it. It makes me feel like I am playing with my playdoh fun factory!
Old 02-27-2012, 03:14 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have the same kind as Katie has. I am very fond of it.

I don't think you will find a roller type pasta maker that is wide enough for pie dough, unless you are making individual serving pies. I think it would be good for the pita dough.

Tags
pasta