"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Old 11-15-2006, 01:35 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Pastry Bag(s) & Tips

Will be purchasing soon - any tips?

sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
Executive Chef
I went to Michaels and bought a tackle box looking thing that had more tips than I can imagine using in my life. It came with couplers and bags and lots more than I can remember. It was $40.

I just wish I could find it in my storage locker.

Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:50 PM   #3
Master Chef
I have the same one as Jan. It's a Wilton starter set. It's definately worth the money. Like she said, it's pretty all-inclusive, at least for the serious beginner.

Around here, Michael's always has coupons in the paper for 40% off an item. They also accept competitor's coupons. That'll knock the cost down a lot for you!
-A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand
PA Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:46 PM   #4
Master Chef
If you don't have a Michael's (arts and craft store) in your area - you might be able to find what you need at a local restaurant supply store (that's where I got mine).
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:40 PM   #5
Head Chef
I have a couple of the nylon pastry bags but find I like the disposable ones. They're so hard to clean to get that greasy feel off of them. Oh and make sure the kit you get has one of those little tip cleaners. If not go pick a couple up. Before I got mine, I'd have to get in there with a toothpick and napkind. No fun. And that was with soaking the tips!
htc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:01 PM   #6
Head Chef
There is a Michael's Arts and Crafts store her in the San Fernando Valley and they have everything you ever wanted to use such as disposible pastry bags etc.

The Sunday Los Angeles Times gives coupons for Michaels so you can save money.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:45 AM   #7
Sous Chef
Wilton's are beautifully made, easy to find, reasonably priced. I have their largest set which comes with a very handy storage box, and then I've supplemented with additional tips for those I use the most (so that I can have several colors set up at once).

If you'd rather pick and choose, go to the Wilton site to find the charts that show the designs each tip can pipe. It's very helpful!

As for bags, ditto for Wilton for all the same reasons. I use 8" and 10" the most, and have a number of them. They clean well enough in good hot, soapy water to be used with royal icing afterward (which doesn't tolerate even a trace of grease. Just turn them inside out to wash them.)

Oh, also: I highly recommend you get several adaptors (don't remember exactly what they call it -- screw-on collar thingy) which allow you to change tips on the same bag without emptying the bag and re-loading the tip. (They have angled and straight and while I own both, I don't think I've ever used the angled.)

Edited to add that you can also buy the storage box alone and fill it with your own custom choice of tips. Do get the box -- helps protect the more delicate tips and makes finding what you want a ... piece of cake.

XeniA is offline   Reply With Quote