Pastry brushes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coookies

Cook
So, pastry brushes - how do you clean them? And/or what do you reccomend for purchasing one? I bought a boar's hair/wood handle one recently, used it for an egg wash on won ton wrappers, and even after washing it smells gross.

I now use a couple of inexpensive silicone pastry brushes. They work fine and rinse off easily then go into the DW. I put my wood and bristle brushes in the DW as well.

I was also going to recommend the silicon.

The bristle brushes are just a p.i.t.b., and are a chore to keep clean and dry. Not to mention the wood handles.

What a shame. The hairs are porous. Try a weak solution of white vinegar and boiling hot water.
I don't spend alot on basting brushs.
I went to the big ORANGE BOX and bought a handful of cheapy
natural paint brushs for different things. And one large wallpaper brush for basting racks of ribs on the grill.
After bringing them home I wash in mild solution of dish soap & water, rinse with hot hot water, shake them out (Those cheap things like to give up alot of hair initially) then put them on the top rack of the dishwasher to dry.
I've never had a smelly brush yet, but don't mourn when I have to throw one out.

I've never had any difficulties with bristle brushes. I always clean them in the dishwasher and have been doing this for over 30 years. The handles are fine, too. I also have a couple of silicone ones I really like. Dishwasher for them, as well.

After running through a few hair and plastic bristle brushes I only have my 2 silicone ones left. I find that in general they don't hold really thin liquids quite as well as finer bristled brushes, but they work OK, and make up for not performing as well by lasting longer and cleaning easily. Now I can make caramel/toffee popcorn and not worry about leaving the brush soaking in water for a couple days if I get lazy. The silicone doesn't deteriorate, and I've found that they're great at cleaning out coffee grinders, the particles stick to the silicone and it wipes out very clean.

I have 3 different silicone brushes - with varying numbers and thicknesses of the "bristles" - and they clean easily in the DW. I threw out the natural bristle one I had because I was always worried I couldn't get it completely clean.

I gave up on the hair and wood brushes and went with silicone and cheap paint brushes LOL. A three pack of them is actually the same price here as the regular basting brush so I don't get as upset when I chuck them.

Hm, I don't even know what kind I have. I picked up coupple in the restaurant supply store couple-3 years ago. I always put them in dw and never have any problems. They look as good as when they were new.

What a shame. The hairs are porous. Try a weak solution of white vinegar and boiling hot water.
I don't spend alot on basting brushs.
I went to the big ORANGE BOX and bought a handful of cheapy
natural paint brushs for different things. And one large wallpaper brush for basting racks of ribs on the grill. .....

THis is the route I go also.

After the initial wash and use I don't much worry, if they don't wash up their cheap enough to be disposed of.

We have a nice bristle brush, unfortunately the She Cat has become attached to it, carries it all over the house, tells me spending good money on some things may be a waste. Not into washing kitty spittle.

So, pastry brushes - how do you clean them? And/or what do you reccomend for purchasing one? I bought a boar's hair/wood handle one recently, used it for an egg wash on won ton wrappers, and even after washing it smells gross.

The harsh chemicals and extreme heat of the DW can be hard on the adhesive holding the boar's hair in the handle, so you may see some shedding. I do prefer my silicone brushes, but I'm not ready to pitch my boars hair brushes. I usually put a dab of Dawn dish soap in my hand, wet the brush and swirl the bristles until they're good and sudsy, then rinse very well, over and over and then I shake it into the sink, flicking my wrist as hard as is comfortable to get rid of the water. Then I prop it (bristles down) to drain in the open air. Mine have a handy hook so they hug the side of a bowl or cup. If you prop it with the bristles up, the water drips down into the handle, which can hasten deterioration.

Interesting note -- I recall my dad using natural natural paint brushes in the restaurant at a fraction of the kitchen supplier cost and the Michigan health department cited him for it. I'd do it at home in a heartbeat, but if you are in a commercial setting, you may want to be sure it's an acceptable practice. They must want that NSF seal.

Just be sure to check to make sure that any bristles are not going to fall out if you purchase brushes. I ruined a blackberry tart once--the bristles landed all over and I couldn't pick them out. The whole things was ruined.

I gave up all the old pastry brushes & treated myself to a silicone brush, stainless steel handle. Does a perfect job & goes in the dishwasher.
Les

Back
Top Bottom