Pepper grinder question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gego

Assistant Cook
Can anyone tell me the advantage/disadvantages between the pepper grinders with ceramic grinders and the ones with steel grinders? I know that for grinding salt the ceramic is best but what about only pepper grinding?
Thanks

I personally do not think one is better than the other for fringing pepper. As you mentioned, salt would be a different story. For pepper though all things being equal, I would go with the less expensive of the two.

I recently bought two new mills, pepper and salt. A cookery course I went on recently recommended the mills they used and I have to say - they were great. They are made by Peugeot, with metal grinders. Yes, the people who make the cars! The mills cost me 30 pounds each (well, 29 pounds 95pence to be precise). But, I am assured they will last a lifetime.

Surely it is not a matter of whether the grinder is ceramic or steel, it is a matter of the serrations. Obviously steel is useless for a salt grinder (ever tried it! The steel interacts.) But the serrations for a salt grinder and a peppercorn grinder are usually different.

In my neck of the woods grinders are sold in pairs, one for salt and the other for pepper. That is the best way to buy such gadgets, IMHO.

advoca said:
Surely it is not a matter of whether the grinder is ceramic or steel, it is a matter of the serrations. Obviously steel is useless for a salt grinder (ever tried it! The steel interacts.) But the serrations for a salt grinder and a peppercorn grinder are usually different.

In my neck of the woods grinders are sold in pairs, one for salt and the other for pepper. That is the best way to buy such gadgets, IMHO.

Having used both ceramic and metal - I contend that there IS a difference. The Peugeot set is GREAT. I have bought many British manufactured sets - mostly Cole and Mason. They are vastly inferior - in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom