Pickle press

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oneoffour

Senior Cook
Japanese pickling book talks about a Tsukemono pickle press anyone know the details of its features and what it does that might be improvised? I 'm not ready to buy a gadget I may use only once

Tsukemono - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Based on the above info, I don't see why you can't just put the pickling vegetables into a container with a lid that is smaller than the container and just weight it down with any heavy objects. From the sound of it you are only trying to remove the excess fluid from the veges. It just looks like it is screwing down the lid into the container to exert and hold enough force to drain the veges.

When my mum makes tongue, she puts the cooked tongues in a pudding bowl with a saucer on top (one that will fit into the bowl) and put the weights from a manual scale on it. Similar principle for a different result.

Thanks Bilby I thought that way too. Amazon sent me a rewards coupon for enough points to cover buying one for the value of the coupon so as soon as I use it I'll share what I think.

just use any rock and call it tsukemono. tell everybody you got it by spesial order from Japan. and those points you have use for something usefull, no pan intended.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom