Pizza peel sticks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Different brands of parchment paper are rated at different maximum temperatures. I don't know if they are really different or if it's just a labeling thing. I use a brand rated at 450 F for dutch oven bread (it make it easier to add the dough and remove the loaf). The paper turns a light brown at 450, but doesn't appear to be close to igniting.

I cook pizza outdoors in a wood fired kettlepizza or on the BGE. Temps can get to 900F. Parchment paper would never work. My peel is aluminum and I use a very light dusting of coarse corn meal.

i'll try cornmeal again. I tried it once but it didn't work well. Perhaps if my pizza stone was MUCH larger, I could get more aggressive when I jerk the peel back.
Perhaps part of the problem is that I seriously load up the pizza dough with so many ingredients that by the time I'm done, the dough has had time to stick to the peel ?

I haven't made pizza on a stone in a while, the low carb recipe I'm working with now does employ parchment paper, but using a perforated round metal pizza pan. The crust is par-baked, then the parchment is removed, then the pizza topped and back in the oven.

Parchment does solve a lot of "release" problems.

When I was cooking normal pizza (meaning regular pizza dough instead of the low carb version I'm doing these days) on a stone I had the same problem as you. Being a metal worker by trade, and specializing in non-ferrous metals, the obvious go to for me was to make my own pizza peel...and of course I chose stainless because I have the stuff. The exact same thing happened to me and it was in fact what you described. By the time I got all my toppings on, it was a disaster getting it transferred to the hot stone. I think its partly the time it takes to top the pizza (for me this is a factor because I am one of those people who MUST get the toppings evenly distributed...I could never work in a pizza shop where they just throw the toppings on randomly), combined with how heavy the pizza becomes once topped...and I tend to use a lot of toppings.

What I started doing was forming my crust on the peel over top of cornmeal (I dont keep semolina, but its a coarse flour that works similarly), then spread just the sauce on it. At that point, I removed the hot stone from the oven and slid the sauce topped dough on to it. It starts cooking right away of course so I was sure to have my toppings all ready and organized in order to get them (perfectly of course) on the pizza fast. then back in the oven.

Last edited:
When I built my outdoor wood fired oven several yrs ago I also made my own tools. For my metal peel I used a length of 3/4" copper tubing and rivetted a round cut sheet aluminum. Works wonderfully.

edit: I found the photo

Attachments

• Pizza_Peel_.jpg
    Pizza_Peel_.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom