Pizza peel sticks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Traveler

Cook
When I returned from living over-seas, I had to abandon some of my kitchen equipment. One piece was my pizza peel. I bought a new one but I made a silly mistake and bought a stainless steel one.

Problem: When I go to load the pizza, in the hot oven, my pizza sticks to the peel, no matter how quickly I jerk it back.:(

Any suggestions on how to keep this from happening ?
Thank You

Sprinkle the peel with cornmeal before placing the dough on it. The cornmeal won't be absorbed by the pizza dough, so it will slide easily.

I use a dusting of cornmeal on the peel before adding the crust.

In the “Now you tell me” category, wood peels are best for sliding raw pizza onto a stone. Metal peels are better at retrieving cooked pizzas.

i'll try cornmeal again. I tried it once but it didn't work well. Perhaps if my pizza stone was MUCH larger, I could get more aggressive when I jerk the peel back.
Perhaps part of the problem is that I seriously load up the pizza dough with so many ingredients that by the time I'm done, the dough has had time to stick to the peel ?

i'll try cornmeal again. I tried it once but it didn't work well. Perhaps if my pizza stone was MUCH larger, I could get more aggressive when I jerk the peel back.
Perhaps part of the problem is that I seriously load up the pizza dough with so many ingredients that by the time I'm done, the dough has had time to stick to the peel ?

Use LOTS of cornmeal. Just before I take the peel to the oven I give it a little shake fore and aft to make sure the dough is free of the board.

Last edited:
+1
Parchment paper is a Kitchen must-have! Build your ‘za on parchment paper, then use your peel to lift and transfer the whole thing your stone. And don’t jerk too hard; parchment paper seems (to me) to be dry, but somehow slippery. That pie’ll sail right over the back edge of the stone!

oh, my. I like THAT idea. But doesn't parchment pape burn ? Doesn't any paper burn at 451 F ? (232 C.) ?
It does brown where the pizza isn’t. You can cut the parchment to a slightly larger circumference than the pie for minimum browning, but if you’re cooking pizza in as hot an oven as you can muster, on a preheated stone, the parchment paper will simply get very brown and brittle.

I bake my Pizza at the highest temp my oven will go,
500 degrees
and the parchment gets pretty brown as JJ mentioned

Attachments

• pizza on parchment.jpg
    pizza on parchment.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 151

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom