Pizza Stone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RIKIL

Assistant Cook
I have gone through my second pizza stone. Eacn time (I only use it for pizza) it seems to break after some liquid (greast or something ) has worked its way into the stone and creates a weak spot.

I am just buying the $20 stone from BBB, are there any other suggestions for my next stone? I'd like one that performs the same but won't break.

Thanks.

Buy a Presto Pizza Oven at WW for $40. They are great for homemade self-rising dough. They have a dual control on top so you can regulate the heat for top & bottom. I also use it for garlic bread, french fries, tater tots, etc.

Yes, there is another alternative. Go to Lowe's or The Home Depot and buy an 18-inch piece of tile or slate. I've been using this for years. You should expect to pay only a couple of dollars for one of these.

Last edited:
Or go to HOMe Depot and buy unglazed quarry tiles--4X4--and use them. Just leave in the oven to store them. They must be UNglazed.

My current pizza stone broke after the third use, about 2 years ago. I just put it back together when I want to use it, like a jigsaw puzzle.

I've had my pizza stone for close to 2 years now, my first. I use it for pizza and bread. I've heard about getting the unglazed tile. I believe that most if not all pizza stones are made of unglazed stoneware. Perhaps if you have a friend who is a potter, they could make a few for you in bulk....naaa...just go to the hardware store.

This is my third pizza stone. The last one I had warped and cracked and it was fairly expensive. This one I bought cheaply at the local grocery store. I leave it in the oven all the time, which I think might help (the other one I removed between uses, and I think the temp changes damaged it). My first one got left behind in a move; it was mail order from some pizza chef on PBS. In other words, no guarantees. Expensive ones, cheap ones. I now leave this one on the bottom shelf of my oven all the time and it's held up for 3 years or so.

I have unglazed floor tyle in a baking sheet I cut the tyle to fit and the cost was minamal and I have had it for years. I bake my bread on it Pizza, all my casseroles. In fact I never take it out of the oven. Go to a tyle store and they can set u up cheap..

Back
Top Bottom