"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 11-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
That can happen with any electrical equipment though. Things short and fuse or are just plain faulty.
True, but there aren't many appliances that heat up to 800-900 degrees F. Not sure I want to risk burning down my house in exchange for not having to scrub the oven.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
True, but there aren't many appliances that heat up to 800-900 degrees F. Not sure I want to risk burning down my house in exchange for not having to scrub the oven.

You really shouldn't just consider the one oven that caught fire (and you don't know that it was because of the self-cleaning cycle, just that that's when it happened). Consider the millions of self-cleaning ovens that have performed flawlessly throughout their lives.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:11 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You really shouldn't just consider the one oven that caught fire (and you don't know that it was because of the self-cleaning cycle, just that that's when it happened). Consider the millions of self-cleaning ovens that have performed flawlessly throughout their lives.
You're right - I guess I'm just nervous because they were friends, so people we know, and we just renovated our new kitchen with all-new cabinets, counters, appliances, and floor. Don't want to mess that up
Old 11-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
You're right - I guess I'm just nervous because they were friends, so people we know, and we just renovated our new kitchen with all-new cabinets, counters, appliances, and floor. Don't want to mess that up

Of course you don't!

If your new stove has a self-cleaning feature, have you ever used it?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:33 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

My Pampered Chef dealer instructed us to clean our stoneware by keeping in the oven during the cleaning cycle. I never have because I enjoy the non-stick seasoned stone that I now have after years of use. Hey they are guaranteed, so return the broken one and get a brand new from your dealer!
Old 11-05-2007, 01:43 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Of course you don't!

If your new stove has a self-cleaning feature, have you ever used it?
Not yet. I've only used the oven itself a few times since it was installed in late July. I used the self-cleaning cycle in my old one a few times, although not since I heard about my friends' kitchen fire, which was about a year ago.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:45 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma Linda View Post
My Pampered Chef dealer instructed us to clean our stoneware by keeping in the oven during the cleaning cycle. I never have because I enjoy the non-stick seasoned stone that I now have after years of use. Hey they are guaranteed, so return the broken one and get a brand new from your dealer!
Interesting. The Web site recommends using hot water and the scraper that comes with it, and says to avoid using it under the broiler or with a direct flame.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:15 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

I keep mine, no name - good and heavy & cheap ($5 CDN) in a cabinet beside the oven--> and when the self cleaning cycle goes on the stone goes in. Never had a problem with the stone breaking or my house burning down.

G.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:19 AM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

I keep mine in my (electric) oven at all times Andy. I have run it through the self cleaning cycle every time I have used it (about 4 times maybe). My stone is about 7 years old and so far I have not had a problem.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:18 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
btw, we have some friends whose kitchen was burned when their oven caught on fire during the self-cleaning cycle. Makes me nervous about using mine.
That can happen if there is too much debris in the oven when the cycle is run. If you have a major spill, just scoop or chisel the excess out before running the cleaning cycle. The only down side I've ever seen from a self-cleaning oven is that the house is filled with an aroma of burnt food while it's running. It isn't unbearable though, and the odor dissipates quickly once the cycle is finished. I usually run it at bedtime, then clean out the ash in the morning.

I haven't run it with my stone... may have to try it.