Pizza Stones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I keep my pizza stone in the oven all the time. It sits on the floor of the oven upside down so the cooking surface stays clean. When I want to use the stone, I flip it over before lighting the oven and I'm ready to go. Some part of the pizza will occasionally spill over onto the stone and make a mess so I choose that time to put the oven through a cleaning cycle. That cleans the stone too. Just brush it off and start again.

I use parchment paper to transfer my pizzas to the stone. I give em about a minute and then lift and pull the paper out. One reason is the paper ends up almost burning and comes away in tatters if I don't.

I use parchment paper to transfer my pizzas to the stone. I give em about a minute and then lift and pull the paper out. One reason is the paper ends up almost burning and comes away in tatters if I don't.

I never tried parchment. I use a peel with cornmeal.

I did some research about this a while ago for my cookbook because I used to think that getting a paver or other unglazed tile was a good idea. It turns out, since they are not made for food, that they can possess all kinds of stuff you do not want to ingest. I can't find much of that info right now but I did find this posted on another site:

"Given that I worked for a number of years for one of the world's largest manuacturers of industrial and heavy commerical refractory, and I know something of what goes into materials made for non-food purposes, I would strongly recommend sticking with baking stones that carry the NSF mark or materials that have an equivalent FDA approval for cooking surface use. I admire the frugality and creativity of many TFL members, but I also know what goes into some industrial ceramics and it isn't good stuff for living creatures."

FrankZ said:

I do the same, build the pizza on the parchment and transfer to the oven with the peel, the remove the paper a minute later. This way I don't end up with cornmeal on the bottom of my oven. This makes the transfer to the stone much less tricky.

I don't use cornmeal cause the peel I have looks like a large folding spatula and has slots... :mrgreen:

It came with the stone, from Costco. Also came with some horrible roller cutter thing. Kathleen got me a rocker knife for cutting pizza.

I like the idea of a pizza stone, but it always seems to me that the toppings are undercooked or cool while you're burning the crust.

How do you avoid this, especially when baking a frozen pizza?

I take the pizza (frozen) off the stone as soon as I am sure the crust is crisp and turn the broiler on. Place the pizza a bit (several inches at least) away from the flame and let the toppings heat up. I should probably note that I like to have some nicely browned cheese on my pizza. You must use caution doing this because turning away from the oven for even a minute can result in disaster.

I like the idea of a pizza stone, but it always seems to me that the toppings are undercooked or cool while you're burning the crust.

Get the oven hotter.

Ekim said:

Be sure to preheat the stone really well before putting the pizza in.

I take the pizza (frozen) off the stone as soon as I am sure the crust is crisp and turn the broiler on. Place the pizza a bit (several inches at least) away from the flame and let the toppings heat up. I should probably note that I like to have some nicely browned cheese on my pizza. You must use caution doing this because turning away from the oven for even a minute can result in disaster.

I never think of doing this, for some reason, but thanks for the input.

I always ask for extra bake on my pizzas, I love the cheese browned and bubbling.

Back
Top Bottom