"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 08-10-2011, 12:50 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Pizza Stones

I am in search of a good inexpensive pizza stone for the grill. We intend to use it on a smaller grill when we go RVing. I own two large rectangle stones, one I use for pizza and the other for artisan breads. One is a Pampered Chef stone and the other one is from a company called Cookin'. (I don't think they are in business anymore, they were a home sale business like PC) both of them are good heavy stones. I will need a stone that is no larger than 13". Does anyone have a particular brand that they would recommend?

Old 08-10-2011, 01:18 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Google 'Pizza Gourmet stone'. We have ours for some 10 years. Have used it on our small Weber.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:07 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Google 'Pizza Gourmet stone'. We have ours for some 10 years. Have used it on our small Weber.
Looks like they're out of business.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:20 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I don't believe a particular brand will make any difference in crispness, or effect the flavor of a pizza. Get whatever physically fits your grill or oven.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I love my pizza stone (pampered chef), but I wish I knew what brand my DIL has. It never seasoned properly. Don't know why.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:06 AM   #6
Head Chef

I did as Alton Brown suggests and got a case of unglazed quarry stone. I think I got it from Lowes. You can get them in 12 inch or six inch squares. The whole case cost around 30 dollars when I bought it. I got the smaller squares and have covered the whole bottom of my oven with them. I still have enough left to do it again some day if the need should arise. They work like a dream and I can make any size pizza or bread that will fit in my oven. Cheaper than any pizza stone I have ever see on the market.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:50 AM   #7
Executive Chef

First, a pizza stone doesn't require seasoning. All it requires is a wiping down with a damp cloth to remove any dust particles.

Second, quarry tiles, unless you do your research, may contain poisonous lead. And lining the bottom of a regular oven with tiles is problematic at best, because many have an irregular, sheet steel pressed bottom that will not hold tiles evenly.

And third, a 17" pizza stone (medium pizza size) can easily be purchased in any kitchen store for under $20, and it even comes with a steel rack with handles for removal. I've never found it too small for any purpose, even baking artisan bread.

I suggest you stick with something already designed for that use - baking pizza. Just a little looking will give you satisfactory results at an inexpensive price.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
Head Chef

After cracking, (just from heat) 3 or more stones. I decited to spend a little more money and get a good one. I've had mine for about 10 years now. I cook lots of pizza @ 550* As hot as my oven will get , and have had no problems.
They cost about $50 now. Look under the FibraMent website to veiw.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

I was considering using several 4 x 6 x1 inch brick pavers large enough to do the job.
Wouldn't that work ?
Old 09-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #10
Head Chef

it probably will work. Just be sure that the stones are unglazed.

Tags
pizza