Plastic storage and food processors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Does someone know why plastic takes so much longer to dry than metal, glass, and pottery? Please bear in mind that I don't have a dishwasher (unless you count my spouse!). But I always wind up hand drying anything made from plastic when my pots & pans, dishes & glasses & flatwear are long dry.

I suspect it's because metal, glass, and ceramics retain heat much better than most plastics. The hot temperature aids in evaporation.

Last edited:
Gotta go with Steve. Glass, metal and pottery retain a lot more heat and the water evaporates much quicker. Just go to grab plastic, then something glass or metal right after the dry cycle, you'll instantly feel the difference.

Gotta go with Steve. Glass, metal and pottery retain a lot more heat and the water evaporates much quicker. Just go to grab plastic, then something glass or metal right after the dry cycle, you'll instantly feel the difference.

My husband doesn't come with a dry cycle. a half hour or so after he washes I can put away everything, but have to take a towel the plastic storage containers and my food processor. So I guess I am the dry cycle! but yes, I have owned many dishwashers (not that many husbands!) and use my mom's and even then, you're right, the metal and glass is dry, but often the plastic is still wet. But what all of you said makes sense.

My husband doesn't come with a dry cycle. a half hour or so after he washes I can put away everything, but have to take a towel the plastic storage containers and my food processor. So I guess I am the dry cycle! but yes, I have owned many dishwashers (not that many husbands!) and use my mom's and even then, you're right, the metal and glass is dry, but often the plastic is still wet. But what all of you said makes sense.
Possibly glass and china have a much smoother surface than even smooth plastic so water runs of more efficiently than off the plastic? I have no scientific proof of this. It's just what I think.

+1 for both answers thus far.

harder, more dense things like plates and metals retain heat aiding in evaporation. also, the surface of plastic isn't as smooth/non-porous as the aforementioned, therefore allowing for water to hang out a little longer.

Plastics have a rough coating...even though they feel smooth... water sticks and even during the drying cycle never really comes off. I seem to get good dishwasher days and bad ones...sometimes they dry sometimes they don't.

I did notice that my more expensive plastic things e.g. food processor bowls, etc. Seem to dry much better than cheaper plastic bowls and things.

Some newer dishwashers now have advanced drying to deal with plastic...wish mine did!

:ROFLMAO: But I'm sure there are days when you wish you could trade him in for a dishwasher. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom