"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
View Poll Results: Which cutting board do you like best?
ALL Walnut - typical walnut; rich, dark chocolate-brown 1 5.26%
ALL Walnut - LIGHTER, REDDISH one, as in my 2nd photo 0 0%
ALL Cherry - with time becomes rich, darker red, but starts light and pale 14 73.68%
Cherry with WALNUT border - photo 4 4 21.05%
Maple with CHERRY border - photo 5 1 5.26%
Walnut with CHERRY border - photo 6 1 5.26%
Maple with WALNUT border - photo 7 2 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2008, 12:56 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by amargulies View Post
Pastaking - thanks. Did you get your board from Ozarkwest? What do you think of it; the finish and quality, etc.? Was it really smooth and shiny when you first got it? I really love the aged cherry boards, with their rich, burgundy color. However, I'm concerned that it will look very light and pale when I first give it as a present, and so won't look that impressive or rich.
lol, nope, Walmart. Walmart has GREAT cookware lol.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Well, thanks again for the additional comments and feedback. AMSeccia - I think that the way the cherry ages just makes it look more beautiful - richer and darker. I don't think she'd mind that. However, even though many of you prefer the photo #3 with the all-cherry board, unfortunately I don't think it looks like that when you first receive it. I purchased a cherry utensil from them and it looked nothing like that - it was quite light and without much color. Rachael Ray and a few others use their Ozarkwest cherry board and it looks just like my photo on their shows (deep reddish); however that's because their boards are aged.

I went ahead and ordered the all-walnut; however I requested a lighter, more reddish one - like that 2nd photo I posted. I'm watching Emeril right now as I type this and he's using a standard Ozarkwest walnut board. Even though it's kind of dark - it's stunning. You know, I think it's silly to overthink this too much because chances are any of these boards will be just beautiful in person. Certainly more interesting and striking than your typical cutting boards. THANKS VERY MUCH!

Adam

Old 03-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Send me one and I'll let you know how it looks, lol! :)

Please let us know how your friend likes her gift. We can't wait to hear!
Old 03-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #14
mesquiteman

Mesquite Butcher Block Cutting Board

You might consider a mesquite end grain cutting board. It is one of the world’s most stable woods. Ideal for cutting boards. Attached a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	etsy1_edited.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	3616  
Old 03-18-2008, 09:51 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Mesquiteman - thanks very much for the suggestion. I actually have thought about it; the company I purchased from - Ozarkwest, makes mesquite boards too. Mesquite does sound great aesthetically too - I love the reddish, warm look of aged cherry, and I understand mesquite has a similar look.

I talked quite a bit with the owners of Ozarkwest who make the cutting boards I liked. They make almost every wood combination imaginable; end grain boards using either one single wood, or two different woods with a contrasting border. I had a really hard time deciding, but in the end I figured I should trust their opinion and advice since they've seen all these different boards in person. They told me their favorite is the all-walnut board, because it has the richest and most interesting grain and appearance. And, because the dark color is unique, rich and looks great with the contrast when cutting brightly colored vegetables on it. I should receive it in the mail in the next few days. That mesquite photo you posted really is beautiful though - do you make those boards? If so, how much are they? Thanks again.

Adam
Old 03-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #16
mesquiteman

Mesquite Board

Hi Adam
Yes I made the board in the picture.

Vaughn