Please help to choose GORGEOUS CUTTING BOARD for present

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which cutting board do you like best?

• ALL Walnut - LIGHTER, REDDISH one, as in my 2nd photo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

amargulies

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

I want to buy a wood cutting board for a woman who is an avid home chef. Not sure which one to get. Not concerned about price; just want to choose the most beautiful and interesting one - which she'll be MOST LIKELY to find attractive. Don't know how her kitchen is decorated, and I'd really appreciate your opinions. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THIS IS A PRESENT FOR SOMEONE, so I'm wondering if I SHOULD BE CONSERVATIVE and just get ALL WALNUT or ALL CHERRY because they'd be safer bets. YOU THINK???

I plan to buy an end-grain board. Ther flagship (and most expensive) board from the company I am looking at is walnut. I'm strongly considering a walnut board they have which is unusually light and reddish- just like my SECOND photo here.

The first two photos are their Walnut Cutting Board. Giada, Guy Fieri, Tyler Florence (on Tyler's Ultimate) and Emeril use these on their shows. The first photo shows how it usually looks - rich, dark chocolate brown (TOO MASCULINE to be a present for a woman???). Second photo shows one which is unusually lighter and reddish - the one I'm strongly considering. I like these because they're very rich and luxurious looking; much different and more unique than typical maple.

The third photo is a Cherry Cutting Board. I love aged cherry (rich and darker, reddish-burgundy color), but they don't start off quite as dark; they're somewhat light when new. It's very nice, but perhaps not as striking, unique or rich-looking as walnut? Rachael Ray and Robin Miller use this board.

Next we have their boards with contrasting borders (using 2 different woods). I think they're really interesting and attractive and might choose one for myself, but I'm not sure whether it's a good idea as a gift; perhaps it's too personal a choice and I'd be safer giving her a plain walnut or cherry board, which seems a sure bet she'd like. What do you think?

The fourth photo is Cherry with Walnut Border. The fifth photo is Maple with Cherry border. The sixth photo is Walnut with Cherry border. The seventh photo is Maple with Walnut border. They have lots of other combinations.

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS OR OPINIONS YOU CAN GIVE ME. I have my own preferences, but I'm not sure what she'll like (sometimes I need a woman's recommendation). Thanks.

Adam

Attachments

• walnutcopy.jpg
    walnutcopy.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 203
  • 12x16walnutfive.jpg
    12x16walnutfive.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 193
  • 16x20cherry1.jpg
    16x20cherry1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 200
  • 16x20cherrywalnut.jpg
    16x20cherrywalnut.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 261
  • 16x20maplecherry.jpg
    16x20maplecherry.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 185
  • 12x16walnutcherry.jpg
    12x16walnutcherry.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 186
  • 18x22maplewalnut.jpg
    18x22maplewalnut.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 183
Last edited by a moderator:
Pastaking - thanks. Did you get your board from Ozarkwest? What do you think of it; the finish and quality, etc.? Was it really smooth and shiny when you first got it? I really love the aged cherry boards, with their rich, burgundy color. However, I'm concerned that it will look very light and pale when I first give it as a present, and so won't look that impressive or rich.

They're all beautiful. I am drawn to the solid cherry or the walnut one you mention looks cherry-like (#2). #4, 5 and 7 are a bit "cottage" like or rustic in my opnion, but if her home or kitchen are along those lines then that would be fine. If she likes fine things or is at all traditional, go with the cherry or walnut. But I also like the walnut board with the cherry trim. I question whether the two woods will age the same, and will that affect integrity down the road? Likely not, but it did pop into my mind.

Wow what a nice gift, don't overthink it. Trust your instincts! :)

AMSeccia - Thanks so much for your feedback. I haven't seen her kitchen lately, but she lives in S. Florida. I don't know what that indicates, but I don't imagine a 'cottage' type feel. Actually, I picture most homes in S. Florida with light colors and woods, but I just think either the cherry or walnut is so much more interesting and rich than your typical maple. Of course, the cherry would look great after it ages, but can you understand how I feel - that it's important to me that it looks rich and wonderful when I FIRST give it to her?

I think walnut is a very expensive would - I think it's the most expensive of all these different types of wood. The woman at Ozarkwest said the all-walnut boards are their specialty, flagship boards, although they obviously have lots of different varieties. Even though several women have told me they don't really like the walnut because it's so dark, do you think I should just go with yours and my instincts and get the lighter, reddish walnut board? THANKS AGAIN.

Last edited:
Timelesstimber.com boards - amazing

What do you think of these boards? They're from Timelesstimber.com; made from salvaged logs which sank 100 years ago or more. Unfortunately, I think these are very thin, and might be designed as serving platters (great for that purpose though). They do have 2" thick butcher blocks, but they're not like this and don't look that great; made up of tiny wood blocks, similar to many boards at Williams Sonoma.

Adam

Attachments

• Timeless Timber birch.jpg
    Timeless Timber birch.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 202
  • Timeless Timber birch 12 tile.jpg
    Timeless Timber birch 12 tile.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Timeless Timber white oak 12 tile.jpg
    Timeless Timber white oak 12 tile.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 186
I personally love cherry and walnut, so I'm immediately drawn to the 4th option. I like the visual interest of the two tones together, but it's not too eclectic if you have a more traditional feel going on.

I am so drawn to #3 the all cherry one. It just seems to glow. But all of them are really like works of art. And I must comment on what a lovely gift this will be for your friend. No matter which one you choose, she will be thrilled!

I like #3 Cherry the best and as someone else said, go with your instincts and choose the one you think is best. Worry less that it is a woman and you are a man and that she lives in Florida. You obviously have some idea about these things to post such a detailed thread. If you like it, and would like to receive it yourself, I am sure she will be happy, esp if she is your friend and you have similar tastes. I wouldn't go with the serving boards. They look like they could be awkward for that purpose - no handles, no rim, not the best to load up and carry but would be okay as a tabletop protector for oven to tableware. Nice gift.

I am sorry I didn't reply sooner, I somehow missed your question. I have learned to trust my instincts, which is why I encourage you to trust your own. It's a lovely gift, no matter which you choose. And as a gift, I'd truly be THRILLED with any of them, even the darkest walnut one. Walnut may be the company's specialty, but if YOU love the cherry, and many others agree, go with your gut. I'm not as excited about the most recent one you posted from salvaged logs, personally.

One question tho ... do you know her well enough to guess whether the aging process (darkening with use/over time) would be bothersome to her? Some people like things to look perfectly new forever.

Pastaking - thanks. Did you get your board from Ozarkwest? What do you think of it; the finish and quality, etc.? Was it really smooth and shiny when you first got it? I really love the aged cherry boards, with their rich, burgundy color. However, I'm concerned that it will look very light and pale when I first give it as a present, and so won't look that impressive or rich.

lol, nope, Walmart. Walmart has GREAT cookware lol.

Well, thanks again for the additional comments and feedback. AMSeccia - I think that the way the cherry ages just makes it look more beautiful - richer and darker. I don't think she'd mind that. However, even though many of you prefer the photo #3 with the all-cherry board, unfortunately I don't think it looks like that when you first receive it. I purchased a cherry utensil from them and it looked nothing like that - it was quite light and without much color. Rachael Ray and a few others use their Ozarkwest cherry board and it looks just like my photo on their shows (deep reddish); however that's because their boards are aged.

I went ahead and ordered the all-walnut; however I requested a lighter, more reddish one - like that 2nd photo I posted. I'm watching Emeril right now as I type this and he's using a standard Ozarkwest walnut board. Even though it's kind of dark - it's stunning. You know, I think it's silly to overthink this too much because chances are any of these boards will be just beautiful in person. Certainly more interesting and striking than your typical cutting boards. THANKS VERY MUCH!

Adam

Send me one and I'll let you know how it looks, lol! :)

Please let us know how your friend likes her gift. We can't wait to hear!

Mesquite Butcher Block Cutting Board

You might consider a mesquite end grain cutting board. It is one of the world’s most stable woods. Ideal for cutting boards. Attached a picture.

Attachments

• etsy1_edited.jpg
    etsy1_edited.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 210
Mesquiteman - thanks very much for the suggestion. I actually have thought about it; the company I purchased from - Ozarkwest, makes mesquite boards too. Mesquite does sound great aesthetically too - I love the reddish, warm look of aged cherry, and I understand mesquite has a similar look.

I talked quite a bit with the owners of Ozarkwest who make the cutting boards I liked. They make almost every wood combination imaginable; end grain boards using either one single wood, or two different woods with a contrasting border. I had a really hard time deciding, but in the end I figured I should trust their opinion and advice since they've seen all these different boards in person. They told me their favorite is the all-walnut board, because it has the richest and most interesting grain and appearance. And, because the dark color is unique, rich and looks great with the contrast when cutting brightly colored vegetables on it. I should receive it in the mail in the next few days. That mesquite photo you posted really is beautiful though - do you make those boards? If so, how much are they? Thanks again.

Adam

Mesquite Board

Hi Adam
Yes I made the board in the picture.

Vaughn

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom