Poppy seed grinder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

curtis2073

Assistant Cook
Hello,

My wife from Russia always had me crush her poppy seeds using a mortar and pestle. I got tired of doing that so a couple of years ago I bought her (me) a poppy seed grinder. She claims it grinds them too fine and makes them too oily. Is there a way to adjust the grinder or is it back to the mortar and pestle?

Hello,

My wife from Russia always had me crush her poppy seeds using a mortar and pestle. I got tired of doing that so a couple of years ago I bought her (me) a poppy seed grinder. She claims it grinds them too fine and makes them too oily. Is there a way to adjust the grinder or is it back to the mortar and pestle?

What do the directions for the poppy seed grinder say? If adjustability isn't mentioned, I'd guess you can't adjust it.

However, you may be OK if you just grind it for less time.

Howdy! Welcome to DC Curtis. Does the grinder have any sort of adjustment built in? What make/manufacture is it? How much poppy seed do you have to grind each time?

Personally, I like the control I get with a mortar pestle.

There's usually a nut on the grinding knife shaft that permits adjustment of the space between the stationary and rotating grinding surfaces. Many times this nut is on the hand crank end of the shaft.

Attachments

• 41%2Bwq3i82XL._SS500_.jpg
    41%2Bwq3i82XL._SS500_.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
I am guessing it is an electric grinder? If is has a press-and-hold power button try pulsing it (like you would a food processor) and see if that works. I know that I have to do that with my spice/nut grinder sometimes otherwise I have a similiar issue.

Back
Top Bottom