Pot Holder Info Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Has anyone used the silicone pot holders of the type pictured here?

I have been using old fashioned cloth pot holders. I like them thick and flexible so they block the heat and easily wrap around handles and pan edges easily and with a sure grip. I don't care for gloves or those with pockets or flaps.

I have given up on trying to find the right combination and am thinking I should get some silicone ones.

A few questions:

They look flexible. Are they?
Do they block the heat as well as regular cloth pot holders?
How do you clean them?

Attachments

• Silicone-Pot-Holder-SM-015-.jpg
    Silicone-Pot-Holder-SM-015-.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Andy, I bought one for 25 cents at my local Salvation Army thrift store. Mainly because I wasn't sure I'd like them and wasn't willing to pay whatever they cost at the time.

I have to say I DO like it, but it does take a little getting used to because I like the old-fashioned ones you like, too. I still like the cloth ones, but I like the silicone one enough to get more.

And, yes, they do a fine job of blocking heat. I also use mine as an anti-skid mat under my mixing bowls.

I have similar ones that are my main pot holders. They are flexible, but they do not block heat as well as traditional pot holders. They do block heat, but only temporarily. If you are just holding something hot for no more than 20 seconds or so then you will not feel any heat, but longer than that and the heat will start to come through and somewhat quickly. Not so quick that you would be in danger of dropping something hot because of it, but you can't hold hot stuff for extended periods of time.

To clean them I either wash them in the sink or put them in the dishwasher. They clean up very easily.

One thing I really like about them is they can double as a trivet.

I have an Orka silicone glove that was a gift. It's flexible and blocks heat, but for some reason I don't use it much. I do like it though. It doesn't fit neatly in the drawer like the others do :( .

I have only used mine so I have no others to compare them to. I got mine from Crate and Barrel if that matters.

I also like the silicone pot holders. As GB said, they work, but, not for an extended period of time...the heat does build up eventually. I clean mine with soap and water or in the dishwasher. I don't have to be so careful about getting food stuff on them like I did cloth as the cleaning process is so much easier! I only have the one kind too - can't remember the brand. They weren't cheap!!

Pot Holder Update

Based on your good advice, I went out and bought silicone potholders. I picked up a three-pack of square silicone pot holders from Farberware for $9.99 at a kitchen outlet store.

They are very good. No heat transfer when holding 350F to 400F oven pans or dishes, even for longer than the few seconds it takes to remove a pan from the oven.

I really like that they can go into the dishwasher for cleaning rather than having to wait for a washer load.

My only issue, and it's a minor one, is that they are not as flexible as cloth pot holders. This just means that you have to be a little more careful about how you grip handles. It took some practice to keep the potholders from ending up under the hot pan.

All in all, a worthwhile purchase. Thanks again.

My only issue, and it's a minor one, is that they are not as flexible as cloth pot holders. This just means that you have to be a little more careful about how you grip handles. It took some practice to keep the potholders from ending up under the hot pan.
Another reason to take care with silicone potholders is that they can be very slippery if the pot you're grabbing is oily (especially with glass or glazed stoneware stuff). Not a knock against the product, just something to be careful of, and a factor when choosing which potholder to use for a given job.

I use "Ove-Gloves" (as seen on TV!). They are great as long you don't get them wet; then they transfer heat in a hurry. They are washable, etc., etc. Just don't let the dog get hold of a soiled one! LOL

I'm with babetoo, only I crochet mine. I can regulate what size I like, make sure they are thick enough to do the job and they are flexible. The other up side is that if you happen to spill some of your soup or whatever they double as a dishrag! Want me to make you some Andy? Cheap like borscht.

I'm with babetoo, only I crochet mine. I can regulate what size I like, make sure they are thick enough to do the job and they are flexible. The other up side is that if you happen to spill some of your soup or whatever they double as a dishrag! Want me to make you some Andy? Cheap like borscht.

Thanks for the offer but I'm all set, Alix.

Offer is open whenever Andy.

Alix, I finally gave up and got the silicone pot holders because I could never find a plain old cloth pot holder that was thick enough to actually be effective. Some had half pockets that made them too stif to work properly and others were too thin to protect your hand.

I guess I should have met you earlier in my life. Everything would have been so different.

I picked up a three-pack

So......you live near a nuclear power plant? :LOL:

Yes, Andy. They were a bit awkward at first as far as the stiffness of them. I still like them better than any cloth ones...so much easier to care for. If you grill/smoke big hunks of meat or whole chickens you may want to invest in the silicone gloves. They really come in handy for beer butt chicken and smoked pork butt.

Andy I was given a set of silicon pot holder and found out that they were too stiff to use, I also found that they became very slick when a casserole over flowed. But I wouldn't trade for anything though, they make excellent cutting board holders, and hot pot holders,when you want to take a hot pot off the stove for a minute.

Back
Top Bottom