"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I hate to be the fly in the ointment, but I wouldn't have any kind of a pot rack even if I could.

Well, maybe if I was hanging a vintage collection of copper pots and nothing else, but few people are so lucky.
Otherwise, I think they look ugly and messy and they just are not my thing.
I like the oversize drawers for my skillets (paper plates between them) and for the pots and pans. I keep my large red enameled cast iron dutch oven on top of the refrigerator. It looks pretty up there, but it's the devil to get down.
That is what I have. I have accumulated over many years and use them all. Stopped buying as I am out of room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	030.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	12952  
__________________

__________________
Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
Head Chef
 
sparrowgrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Highest point in Missouri
Posts: 1,794
Hmm. I like things to look nice, too, and I have lots of interesting stuff in my kitchen, but I like my tools out where I can find them. I have a pot rack on the wall across from the stove, and a magnetic knife rack beside the stove.

Julia Child had pegboards on her kitchen walls, with all of her tools hung out for the world to see.
__________________

__________________
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Hmm. I like things to look nice, too, and I have lots of interesting stuff in my kitchen, but I like my tools out where I can find them. I have a pot rack on the wall across from the stove, and a magnetic knife rack beside the stove.

Julia Child had pegboards on her kitchen walls, with all of her tools hung out for the world to see.
Her husband designed her kitchen for her.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
Sous Chef
 
Merlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WV
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
That is what I have. I have accumulated over many years and use them all. Stopped buying as I am out of room.

I think that is very pretty :)
__________________
"Omit and substitute! That's how recipes should be written. Please don't ever get so hung up on published recipes that you forget that you can omit and substitute."
Jeff Smith, The Frugal Gourmet
Merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68

That is what I have. I have accumulated over many years and use them all. Stopped buying as I am out of room.
Very nice, Jim!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #16
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,887
That copper collection is gorgeous Jim and I would want to display it too but you have to spend a lot of time and effort to keep it clean over the stove.

Do you have a vent fan in the cook top? I have a vent fan over my stove and it needs a good cleaning often.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #17
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That copper collection is gorgeous Jim and I would want to display it too but you have to spend a lot of time and effort to keep it clean over the stove. Do you have a vent fan in the cook top?
I have a vent fan over my stove and it needs a good cleaning often.
The copper does not take as much time to keep up as you would think. Mine is never pristine as I treat it as tools and it gets used daily. Generally it gets clean as I use it.

I do have a vent fan. Mine is a downdraft popup style that matches the stove and vents outside. It is completely concealed when not in use. There is no way to use an overhead one in my home. The popups move a lot of air. I would recommend them for situations like mine.
__________________
Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:07 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Her husband designed her kitchen for her.
that's interesting, because when i saw a picture of it with the utilitarian pegboards for pots and pans, i thought it looked like a garage.

we have a small, 3 to 4 foot single shelf pot rack in the upstairs kitchen. the spacing of the wall mounts doesn't exactly line up with the wall studs, so i made sure i hit the studs on one side, then used heavy duty auger type wallboard mounts on the other side. it works for about 7 or 8 of the emerilware and tramontina ss pans.
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:38 AM   #19
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
that's interesting, because when i saw a picture of it with the utilitarian pegboards for pots and pans, i thought it looked like a garage.
.
Julia child's kitchen has been moved to the Smithsonian, pretty neat!

If I had my druthers I would have a "pretty" kitchen and a "garage" kitchen with a let it all hang out approach. When I was growing up we had a summer kitchen for the heavy cooking. It had a large central work table with a shelf underneath to hold the big pots. My city friends all grew up with what was affectionately known as an Italian family room. I think it makes sense as the headquarters of a family home. I miss that!

Today I have a tiny apartment kitchen with a bookcase as a pot rack/pantry. It works if you keep it looking neat and organized!
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:28 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Julia child's kitchen has been moved to the Smithsonian, pretty neat!

If I had my druthers I would have a "pretty" kitchen and a "garage" kitchen with a let it all hang out approach. When I was growing up we had a summer kitchen for the heavy cooking. It had a large central work table with a shelf underneath to hold the big pots. My city friends all grew up with what was affectionately known as an Italian family room. I think it makes sense as the headquarters of a family home. I miss that!

Today I have a tiny apartment kitchen with a bookcase as a pot rack/pantry. It works if you keep it looking neat and organized!
I have fond memories of the summer kitchen. It's main purpose was for canning the fall harvest. But was used during the summer if it was too hot and didn't want to heat the house up from cooking.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.