"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Lightbulb Pot Rack Use

I've been readng people's questions about cookware storage. I advise against stacking any pieces that might scratch or chip, ie. enameled or non-stick. A ceiling or wall mounted pot rack is a very good solution. It can hold several pot, pans, lids and utensils. There are a variety of styles, sizes and colors of pot racks.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
Head Chef

I just need to buy a 4 bedroom house with large kitchen to go with your suggestion, thanks for the link.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I adore my pot rack!!!! The guy that installed it made sure it was mounted to the celing joists in the attic so even my heaviest Le Cruset 5 Qt. is up on it. And the shelf area above is perfect for all the lids.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:50 AM   #4
Head Chef

I have mine firmly attached to the joists above my range, and it is loaded with around 25 copper pots and pans. I would guess over a hundred pounds. Aside from being attractive, all the pans are within easy reach and always available. The downside to storing over the stove is that they catch all the grease that rises,
Old 01-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Caslon-you can start small, you know. Even a utility bar rack could help. We have a small house and the rack has really helped. The Dutch oven stays on the stove, though.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:03 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
I have mine firmly attached to the joists above my range, and it is loaded with around 25 copper pots and pans. I would guess over a hundred pounds. Aside from being attractive, all the pans are within easy reach and always available. The downside to storing over the stove is that they catch all the grease that rises,
You don't have to have the rack installed over the stove. I have seen homes that have it installed over the island across from the stove. Or even off to the side a few feet. You want it installed away from the stove, yet within reach without taking too many steps.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You don't have to have the rack installed over the stove. I have seen homes that have it installed over the island across from the stove. Or even off to the side a few feet. You want it installed away from the stove, yet within reach without taking too many steps.
Mine is over the island/ sink.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I built ours out of wood dowels. "S" hooks are used to hang the pots/utensils. It hangs from the joists, via chain, above the Island. Been there for a long time. The only problem is I keep hitting my head on the heavy mandolin. Can't raise it cause others wouldn't be able to reach anything.

Craig
Old 01-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
Master Chef

I hate to be the fly in the ointment, but I wouldn't have any kind of a pot rack even if I could.

Well, maybe if I was hanging a vintage collection of copper pots and nothing else, but few people are so lucky.
Otherwise, I think they look ugly and messy and they just are not my thing.
I like the oversize drawers for my skillets (paper plates between them) and for the pots and pans. I keep my large red enameled cast iron dutch oven on top of the refrigerator. It looks pretty up there, but it's the devil to get down.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I hate to be the fly in the ointment, but I wouldn't have any kind of a pot rack even if I could.

Well, maybe if I was hanging a vintage collection of copper pots and nothing else, but few people are so lucky.
Otherwise, I think they look ugly and messy and they just are not my thing.
I like the oversize drawers for my skillets (paper plates between them) and for the pots and pans. I keep my large red enameled cast iron dutch oven on top of the refrigerator. It looks pretty up there, but it's the devil to get down.
I hear ya K. I had a small pot rack given to me many yers ago. It collected dust and was always in the way. I tossed it out. I didn't even give it away. Why give someone else misery. I have a beautiful Depression Era green glass batter bowl sitting on top of my fridge. I want my pretty things to be seen. And pots are not pretty as a rule. To display them you have to do a lot of scrubbing. I would rather spend my time doing volunteer work.