"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 09-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #11
Head Chef

I use Number One.
It should always have a FULL TANG construction. as in the metal should continue the length of the handle.
Would like some ridges on the smashing face of the metal.
Nice fat handle, ergonomically designed, please.
Chose it because it works well, and is fairly easy to clean.
For me, simple is better.
I'd pay up to $9.99 for a well constructed one like this.
My most important feature is sturdy construction with metal. A plastic smasher isn't
strong enough.
(I like slightly lumpy mashed taters, IMHO a ricer makes potato something, but they
aren't MASHED potatoes anymore. They are.... sieved....)

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #12
Everymom

OK, I have two mashers. One is the ricer which I use when I'm serving mashed potatoes for the "fluffy" likers. I also have a masher like the last one, only in metal that I use to make slightly chunkier smashed potatoes.

I find the ricer takes more time, and I've broken a few of them so my preference is the plain old smasher. Simple is best in my world.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #13
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I have two, similiar to 1 and 4. They were my grandmothers and are at least 40 years old if not more. Metal & wood, well make, no plastic and they are heavy for their size. They wre built to last. That is what is most important.

I find they both work well but 1 works better with more waxy potatoes while I find 4 work well with russetts.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
...(I like slightly lumpy mashed taters, IMHO a ricer makes potato something, but they
aren't MASHED potatoes anymore. They are.... sieved....)

I come from an era when a housewife was a failure if her potatoes were lumpy. Mashed potatoes were ALWAYS smooth. That gradually gave way to "rustic" mashed potatoes that included lumps (unmashed potatoes). "Rustic" expanded to encompass huge chunks of stuff in your soup or stew rather than neatly cut up uniform pieces.

Now I understand that personal preferences are just that and there is no one right way to make mashed potatoes but don't tell me that smooth mashed potatoes aren't mashed potatoes.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

No potato masher. I just use a wooden spoon and they only get as mashed as they can while I stir butter, etc. into them. DH and I both love it this way and I don't peel potatoes anynore.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
...I find the ricer takes more time, and I've broken a few of them so my preference is the plain old smasher. Simple is best in my world. [/FONT]

Alix, either you're a lot stronger than you look or you had some lame ricers! I have an OXO potato ricer and a big guy. I'd have to try ricing a rock in order to break it!
Old 09-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #17
Master Chef

Site Moderator

LOL..is that like mashed vs whipped potatoes (mashed then beaten with a mixer).
Old 09-15-2010, 06:03 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Medium mesh strainer and WW II German hand grenade style wooden masher. Otherwise, a perforated (like #5) stainless masher whose sides curve to match the sides of the pot with an OXO type handle and smooth elongated perforations which are easier to clean.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I have a potato masher like #1 and also a potato ricer. It depends on what texture we want out potatoes to be like for that meal. Sometimes I go with the #1 masher just because it cleans up easier than my ricer. But I like them both.

Made of a strong metal is the key. And easy to clean.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
OK, I have two mashers. One is the ricer which I use when I'm serving mashed potatoes for the "fluffy" likers. I also have a masher like the last one, only in metal that I use to make slightly chunkier smashed potatoes.

I find the ricer takes more time, and I've broken a few of them so my preference is the plain old smasher. Simple is best in my world.
I'm with Alix all the way. For example, if I'm doing twice baked potatoes, there's nothing like a ricer, and nothing else will do.

If I'm doing a simple mash I use my all metal masher like number 5. I've had it for 30 or more years.
That masher is also great for using on hard boiled eggs..perfect for egg salad with one firm press.

Good luck on your project.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote