Potato Masher Redesign

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My ricer has only one and the holes are like the smaller-holed disk in the link photo. Either would work.

Probably depends on how you like your potatoes. Some folks like some lumps. I prefer mine very smooth so I would use the smaller holes.

I might as well chime in.

I've never owned or operated a ricer. I don't understand why it's called a "ricer." It looks like a bulky, inefficient, one-purpose appliance, to me. If more discussion can change my mind, I'm open to it...

I have a handheld masher. And if our industrial design student OP even cares at this point, I do not like it for the following reasons:

1. It stores in drawers poorly. The mashing end should swivel and lock, allowing it to be stored as a flat utensil.
2. The mashing end should be interchangeable - big, medium and fine mash - just like an expensive ricer with different sized sieves.

Either way, mashing is labor-intensive; any idea to relieve us of the work is welcome.

Either way, mashing is labor-intensive; any idea to relieve us of the work is welcome.

Stop caring about mashed potatoes:) I don't peel them anymore, cut up about 1.5 inches a piece, boil till tender, drain, melt butter in hot pan, toss potatoes back in and just stir, adding milk, cream or sour cream to desired goosh. Still lumpy, peels add to color and flavor. Yum!:)

...I've never owned or operated a ricer. I don't understand why it's called a "ricer." It looks like a bulky, inefficient, one-purpose appliance, to me. If more discussion can change my mind, I'm open to it...

I have heard it's called a ricer because the little bits of potato look like rice grains after they come out of the ricer.

It doesn't have a lot of uses beyond ricing potatoes or root veggies. I use it to squeeze the water out of spinach before using it in a recipe. But, a potato masher is also pretty much a one purpose tool. That's not really important to me.

I use it because I like smooth mashed potatoes.

You can choose a huge variety of mashers and get free shipping

Potato Smasher - Kitchen Ware House - Free Shipping

I use a ricer. I don't even own what the manufacturers call a masher. My ricer has three plates with three different size holes. The large holes will make spaetzle, the smaller holes make the potatoes mashed, and the smallest holes will squeeze water out of spinach and grated potatoes (for latkes). The reason I like the ricer is you can boil whole small potatoes, squeeze them in the ricer, the potato comes out, and the skins stay behind.

I don't use a potato masher. I use a ricer instead as it assures me of smooth, fluffy, lump-free potatoes.
Dead right, Andy. I've been looking for YEARS for a ricer to come up at ca. $2 in various thrift stops. Noi luck so far but I keep hope alive.

Good idea, Sir Loin.You just reminded me that a hand-cranked food mill might also work well.

Good idea, Sir Loin.You just reminded me that a hand-cranked food mill might also work well.
A hand-cranked food mill works well for this. It won't leave all the skins behind, when you put the potatoes in with skins on. It will leave most of the skins in the food mill, but little pieces of potato peel will get sheared off and go out through the holes. I would use it more often for mashed potatoes if it wasn't a PITA to wash. And, some days I just don't want to fight with the spring that holds the plate in place.

The day I bought my potato ricer (about 20 years ago) was transformative! Never used a potato masher since. (Still using the same ricer too - it shows no signs of wearing out.)

Back
Top Bottom