"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 09-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Potato Masher Redesign

Hello,
I am an Industrial Design student at the University of Alberta. I am working on a research oriented design project that requires me to choose an item (a hand held potato masher) and redesign it with the help of communication with the end user. The idea is that by designing it with specific help from the people who use an item most, a better or more suitable tool can be created. What you guys can do to help is simply answer a few questions (which I will post below) and then hopefully engage in a dialog with me as I develop and prototype an improved potato masher.

The following is a sampling of existing potato masher designs.

Of the five mashers shown, which is most like the one you use? If you use something completely different, please describe it or provide a link that shows yours.

Where do you primarily use it? (In a professional kitchen or at home?)

What motivated you to pick the one that you currently use? Price, feel, appearance, functionality?

Were your expectations met?

If not, what would you change or improve?

What about your potato masher do you think is good? What features are the most important to you? (Rigidity, comfort, afford-ability, safe for use on non-stick products, ease of cleaning, etc.)

Finally, what is the maximum price you would be willing to pay for the best hand powered potato masher you can imagine? Please specify which currency you are thinking of.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. I will keep all names and personal information private unless you give me explicit permission. Again, this is just being used for a school report.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
Master Chef

non of those are any good, garbage as the matter of fact.
# 1 isn't going to mash anything
#2 though might be strong I do not like square holes, and it doesn't look very convinient to hold
#3 is simply weird
#4 is not practical, it will bend at the bottom, speaking from expirience
#5 looks like plastick and will not hold.

So if you can make something simular to #5 but stainles steel with a good handle and strong enough, so you do need two sides coming out from the bottom, to mash the whole pot of potato and would have round or roundish bottom and for sure round holes, don't ask me why but in my experience round holes work much, much better, did I already say that? Then you would have a solid masher. If you want to cheat a little bit go look at a comercial masher.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the input!

To everyone who reads this; don't be shy about responding, even if other people have said the same thing that you would say. The number of responses I get is just as important and helpful as the content of the responses. As you guys are the users of the product, there aren't any wrong answers...
Old 09-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't use a potato masher. I use a ricer instead as it assures me of smooth, fluffy, lump-free potatoes.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I don't use a potato masher. I use a ricer instead as it assures me of smooth, fluffy, lump-free potatoes.
I use a spatzle maker (potato ricer). It assures me of smooth, fluffy, lump-free potatoes.

My spatzle maker has two very long handles, one of which is attached to a sturdy, aluminum cup with a bunch of round holes in the bottom. The other is hinged at the far end top of a metal cup and has a plunger which just fits into the cup. Fill the thing with spatzle batter, or peeled and boiled potatoes, position the plunger at the top of the cup opening, and squish the handles together to force the dough/potato through the small holes and into a bowl. Like Andy said, it's guaranteed, lump-free smashed spuds.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:16 AM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
:thumbsup:
Old 09-15-2010, 04:16 AM   #7
Senior Cook

There's only one true potato masher, and that's a ricer. Drop the boiled taters in, flip the lid over, and press down. Squidged out of the little holes underneath comes finest mash, no lumps. Just perfection. Or, a Mouli.

Sorry, but those gadgets you showed are fit only for the bin. Wouldn't last five minutes.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:20 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

falling out of lock step here with the ricers, chris, i'd have to say that if you're an engineer, you would be thinking in physics terms of the finished product.

it should be obvious by now that there's different consistencies to one's mashed spuds. fluffy seems to be popular , but there's all levels of aggregates in between that and plain ol' boiled spud chunks.

i guess the question is how much control of the processing of the aggregate over what time delta is optimal for what set of requirements?

yes?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
Those aren't smashers .. this is a smasher.

j/k, but I have to agree with the tater ricer/spatzle maker
Old 09-15-2010, 08:58 AM   #10
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Kitchen Aid Heavy Duty Professional 5 qt mixer does the trick for me every time.