Potato peeler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ST93

Assistant Cook
What is a good potato peeler? I have given up on my side peeler. I am using a box grater to peel potatoes, but don't enjoy it. I have looked at a palm peeler, a Y-shaped peeler, and tater mitts. I have seen the Japanese potato peeling video on YouTube where the skin comes off like magic, but I don't know if that will work for red potatoes.

ST, my favorite peeler is a ceramic-bladed peeler. It is so sharp it peels sweet potatoes as if they were made of butter. That's good, because I have arthritis and carpal tunnel in my right hand. They never get dull and are so easy to clean. I wouldn't be without my ceramic peeler. Check the Internet for companies that sell them.

Just heard about those tater-mits, the potatoes must be cooked a bit before using the mits which sound like a lot of work to just peel a potato!

I have a couple Oxo peelers, and love them.

A "Y" peeler is better suited for peeling apples and pears, and you draw it down, instead of peeling away from you.

FWIW, I don't bother peeling red potatoes. I just leave the skins on.

AllenOK said:
...A "Y" peeler is better suited for peeling apples and pears, and you draw it down, instead of peeling away from you...

Interesting, Allen. I use a conventional peeler on apples and start at the stem and peel in a spiral ending at the blossom end. The peel often comes off in one long strip.

Different strokes...

I'm chiming in with the Oxo fans. I just have a simple version, and it is my second (I did wear one out!), and you cannot convince me that there is something better for me. I peel potatoes, carrots, mangoes, apples, etc with it and love it.

I have both the y-peeler and side peeler, like the side one better. I always peel away from me, which works better for me - letting those tater skins fly - ! :)

potato mitts

silentmeow said:
Just heard about those tater-mits, the potatoes must be cooked a bit before using the mits which sound like a lot of work to just peel a potato!

I wondered about that when watching the add.

Andy M. said:
Interesting, Allen. I use a conventional peeler on apples and start at the stem and peel in a spiral ending at the blossom end. The peel often comes off in one long strip.

Different strokes...
My great-grandmother peeled apples that way - I was always so impressed with that :)

We would go to the farm and pick apples from the tree in the yard, take them in and wash them, then she would peel them and make fresh applesauce. Thanks for bringing up a great memory :)

btw, I use a Pampered Chef veggie peeler for peeling potatoes: The Pampered Chef, Ltd.

I really like the pointed tip you can use to gouge out the eyes of a potato.

Back
Top Bottom