"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 06-04-2015, 09:56 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Potato Ricer

Hi,

Want to buy a new robust ricer. I have had a couple of problems with the past two.

1/ First was really hard to clean
2/ Second bent out of shape when squeezing together

People suggested the Cucino Kitchenware

Amazon.com: Cucino Kitchenware Potato Ricer with Silicone Comfort Grip Handle and Interchangeable Blades: Home & Kitchen

Would like to know other peoples view

Thanks

Old 06-04-2015, 09:59 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC! I have one from my grandma that has holes on the sides as well as the blade. I also have one similar to the one you found with the replaceable blades. I like that one for ease of cleaning, but I do put both through the dishwasher. I guess it depends on what you want to do. I go the one with the interchangeable blades for making spaetzle.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:05 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Generally I will only use it for fish pie or mustard mash. Sooner pay more and have reliability. It is harder to source equipment in NZ so I want to make sure when I buy it is good quality
Old 06-04-2015, 10:19 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I've had several ricers including one with holes on the sides as well as the bottom. I hated the holes on the sides as they made a mess. I currently have an Oxo ricer and find it excellent. It's quite sturdy. I'm a big guy and can apply a lot of pressure. I have never been concerned about it's breaking.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:26 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Good to know Oxo will be top of my list unless anyone else has a better suggestion.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:28 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Actually it looks like they make several. Which one is yours?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ords=oxo+ricer
Old 06-04-2015, 11:07 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibble235 View Post
Good to know Oxo will be top of my list unless anyone else has a better suggestion.
Oxo has a reputation of being very reliable and they make products that are comfortable to use. The founder of Oxo watched his grandmother struggling to use a kitchen utensil with her arthritic hands. It was then he decided to develop and make utensils that would be comfortable for all grandmothers to use. The name come from the xoxo of hugs and kisses for his grandmother.

If my memory serves me right, The following was approved as the favorite on America's Test Kitchen here in the States. It is a television show that tests equipment for the kitchen.

http://www.amazon.com/Potato-Ricer-B...ords=oxo+ricer

What I like about it is that it can fit it on any size pan. Most ricers don't have that feature. You have to hold them over the pot. By the time you are through ricing all the potatoes, you have two very tired hands. Good Luck. And welcome to DC. We enjoy having new members join us. After all this forum is an international one. We have members from all over the globe.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:48 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ords=oxo+ricer
I don't see an exact match as mine is a few years old. The second one in your link is closest. Top row, middle.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:15 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:

Amazon.com: oxo ricer: Home & Kitchen
The one on the left. We ditched the all metal with side holes, what a mess. BTW, you don't know what you're missing if you haven't made gnocchi, German style potato dumplings or Cuban style Papa Rellena stuffed with picadillo! We use the ricer for all of these.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:04 AM   #10
Sous Chef

I've gone through several trying to find one I'm happy with. Side holes. Removable plates. Cushioned handles.

Finally found this one, and it's great. It's larger than most, opens wider, and the angle of the plunger makes it easy to squeeze. The large hopper holds more, so it makes short work of the job.

Tags
potato, rice