"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #11
Executive Chef

To be honest, I think that feel and look tell you more about shears than price or sometimes even the make. I have a very inexpensive pair which have given me sterling service for donkeys years. The weight, action and a good look at the works told me what I needed to know when I bought them. I got them from a store catering for professional users

Old 01-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking4to View Post
OK, so I ended up ordering a set of the Browne foodservice commercial shears. I bought them from Staples {yah the office store, they sell restaurant and bar equip too}.....
Wow, that is amazing deal. Could you post the link to the stuff you got please. For some reason I cannot find on staples site. Thank you in advance.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #13
Master Chef

I purchased the GFS poultry shears. The metal handle goes through the handle and exists as a bottle opener, and screw driver. It has a jar lid opener that will work on small jars, and a bone cutter built into the scissors. The price is good too. I have had no issues with them. They also come apart very easily for cleaning, and yet are sturdy when assembled. And no, I don't have any affiliation with GFS, just bought the product.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Wow, that is amazing deal. Could you post the link to the stuff you got please. For some reason I cannot find on staples site. Thank you in advance.

On the main page, click Shop by Industry - Restaurant - then search "kitchen shears".

Edit: Although I found 3 pages of kitchen shears (with prices from about $7 to over $70), no Browne showed on the list.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:25 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
No problem Charlie Restaurant & Foodservice Supplies | Staples® there is a coupon code for $25 off $75 {thats more than 33% off!!!} and free shipping over $50, and if you click on an item look for the little "extra X amount off if you buy this in 30 minutes" , I really like buying stuff from that site... They sell the nicer commercial stuff, Dexter Russel, IND std., Browne FS, Edmund, Mundial, Metalcraft, Vollrath, etc... Not like some of the commercial stuff you see in the restaurant B&M stores that is just cheap get you through the week stuff {some restaurant places have decent stuff too, but soe around here have sad commercial equipment inventories}

As far as links to everything I bought that will take a while, but heres a copy and paste from my receipt...

American Metalcraft Six Wheel Pastry Cutter
Item: 412807

Carlisle 2 Silicone Basting Brush Red
Item: 446804

American Metalcraft PPK17 18 Pizza Knife
Item: 453040

American Metalcraft BP23 23 Wood Pizza Bubble Popper
Item: 969362

Browne 1219 912 Chromed Steel Poultry Shears
Item: 409096
Old 01-28-2015, 03:35 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

My poultry shears are ancient. I got them at an estate sale about 30 years ago. They work very well...similar to the poultry shears my mom has (which were my grandma's).
Old 01-28-2015, 06:32 PM   #17
Head Chef

I've got poultry shears that are no name and most likely the cheapest my father could find. He was a cheap SOB just like I am.

They are at least 35 years old and are doing fine. They have red paint on the handles if that helps.

Heavy Duty scissors with a hook in one blade is what you're looking for.

I'm not one for name brands. Look at the quality of manufacture of the product and decide if it suits your needs.

This is one of those times that hands on before purchase makes a difference.

If you're breaking them at a high pace then I can only suggest that you're abusing the product by asking it to do more then it's designed to do and need to seek an alternative way to achieve the results you seek.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:46 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
I've got poultry shears that are no name and most likely the cheapest my father could find. He was a cheap SOB just like I am.

They are at least 35 years old and are doing fine. They have red paint on the handles if that helps.

Heavy Duty scissors with a hook in one blade is what you're looking for.

I'm not one for name brands. Look at the quality of manufacture of the product and decide if it suits your needs.

This is one of those times that hands on before purchase makes a difference.

If you're breaking them at a high pace then I can only suggest that you're abusing the product by asking it to do more then it's designed to do and need to seek an alternative way to achieve the results you seek.
Exactly, Zagut. Poultry shears are really only designed for cutting through the joints and cutting thin bones (such as ribs) and the gristle-y bits of the carcase, not for hacking through large bones such as the drumstick bones
Old 01-28-2015, 08:21 PM   #19
Master Chef

Take a look and see what you think. I like them. I haven't been able to break them yet, even when spatcocking a turkey.

GFS Kitchen Shears Stainless Steel | eBay

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:32 PM   #20
Master Chef

Site Administrator

i have a pair of Henckle scissors I use for things like this (and a bunch of other things).

Are you saying I could get some sort of specialized thing to do it? Sweet... something new for the kitchen!