Poultry shears?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4to

Senior Cook
I broke my poultry shears and its my second pair in 2 years, does anyone have a nice pair that has lasted them, no more plastic handles unless they are metal through out... I prefer spring loaded come apart style...

I am leaning towards the Wusthof 5512's Wusthof 5512 9" Poultry Shears I have broken 2 pairs of that cost me about $70 so I really don't care about the cost, I just want a pair that will work and not break.. the amazon reviews of the 5512s is whats keeping me from pulling the trigger...

I was also considering these Heirloom Culinary | Heavy Duty stainless Steel Kitchen Scissors And Shears

but they look very similar to these Amazon.com : GrillPro 41509 Stainless Poultry Shears (Discontinued by Manufacturer) : Cutlery Shears : Home & Kitchen and these Amazon.com: Norpro Professional Poultry Shears: Chicken Shears: Kitchen & Dining

not sure which way to go... A friend of mine who is a prfessional chef said to get the browne food service 1219s that are like $11 I may start there..

Last edited:
I picked up a pair at the Restaurant Depot like 7-8 years ago. hey were less than 10 bucks. Do not know the brand. Still working just fine. What do you do with the, that they brake?

Same here Charilie,

I have a pair of cheap stainless steel kitchen scissors, made in China, that handle most jobs. Mine are similar to these $8.00 scissors.
1_81972_400_400.jpg

When I have a really tough job I use a pair of pruning shears that are reserved for kitchen duty, similar to these.
f2-pruning-shears-300x230.jpg

9k=

Last edited:
I picked up a pair at the Restaurant Depot like 7-8 years ago. hey were less than 10 bucks. Do not know the brand. Still working just fine. What do you do with the, that they brake?

The 2 pairs I broke were in 2 separate ways, first I hade a set of cut co's, I was cutting a bone with them and squeezed them {not a huge bone} and they separated, they were never right again, cutco replaced them and I gifted the new pair to my mother. Next was a pair of ergo chefs {I like their stuff} and my fingers didnt fit well into them, I was cutting a chicken bone {not huge either} but holding the outside and they crumbled, that was my fault I was squeezing the outside of the handle not the inside, I broke another pair a long time ago the same way except they didnt snap it just closed the loop, they were metal handles, but then the loop was too small to get my fingers in...

I'm in the cheapo camp. I have had a pair of Kitchenaids and a pair of Wusthofs for many years. One came as a free gift with a magazine subscription and the other came with a knife set. The Wusthofs are going for $19.95 on Amazon.

The 2 pairs I broke were in 2 separate ways, first I hade a set of cut co's, I was cutting a bone with them and squeezed them {not a huge bone} and they separated, they were never right again, cutco replaced them and I gifted the new pair to my mother. Next was a pair of ergo chefs {I like their stuff} and my fingers didnt fit well into them, I was cutting a chicken bone {not huge either} but holding the outside and they crumbled, that was my fault I was squeezing the outside of the handle not the inside, I broke another pair a long time ago the same way except they didnt snap it just closed the loop, they were metal handles, but then the loop was too small to get my fingers in...

:) Ok, I think you should buy a kitchen band saw, not sheers if yo are planing to keep cutting them bones man. ;) Sorry, could not help my self. :D

:) Ok, I think you should buy a kitchen band saw, not sheers if yo are planing to keep cutting them bones man. ;) Sorry, could not help my self. :D

I have one, lol Its nothing special but WHAT A PAIN IN THE you know what to clean... Mine is same as this one here 550W Stand Up Meat Band Saw Meat Grinder Dual Electric Food Produce Processor | eBay bought it for $140 picked up!!!! It actually works awesome and has a built in meat grinder/sausage stuffer, I use it when I take a deer and sometimes when I buy large primal cuts of beef or pork. Its obviously not in the kitchen, its in the garage with my smoker and a few other meat processing toys..

I could just picture my vegan wifes face if I ever started using a band saw cutting up a chicken in the kitchen, lol, little meat chunks flying everywhere... {actaully it doesnt throw meat anywhere, it works awesome, even that one for $250 shipped is an amazing deal...}

OK, so I ended up ordering a set of the Browne foodservice commercial shears. I bought them from Staples {yah the office store, they sell restaurant and bar equip too}. I have bought stuff of them before, shipping is slow, expect to wait 2 weeks for your item, but the prices are unbeatable, I mean like 1/2 of amazon on some items!!!

I bought a pizza bubble popper {I have been wanting one for when i grill pizza or make pan style in the oven}, another 6 wheel cutter, some basting brushes, an 18" pizza knife {the style with the small handle on the far side}, and the shears for $60 shipped!!! Not too shabby considering the pizza knife and shears come to $75 on amazon...

Anyway, we will see how the new ones stand up when they come in... thanks for the replies guys..

To be honest, I think that feel and look tell you more about shears than price or sometimes even the make. I have a very inexpensive pair which have given me sterling service for donkeys years. The weight, action and a good look at the works told me what I needed to know when I bought them. I got them from a store catering for professional users

OK, so I ended up ordering a set of the Browne foodservice commercial shears. I bought them from Staples {yah the office store, they sell restaurant and bar equip too}.....

Wow, that is amazing deal. Could you post the link to the stuff you got please. For some reason I cannot find on staples site. Thank you in advance.

I purchased the GFS poultry shears. The metal handle goes through the handle and exists as a bottle opener, and screw driver. It has a jar lid opener that will work on small jars, and a bone cutter built into the scissors. The price is good too. I have had no issues with them. They also come apart very easily for cleaning, and yet are sturdy when assembled. And no, I don't have any affiliation with GFS, just bought the product.:)

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Wow, that is amazing deal. Could you post the link to the stuff you got please. For some reason I cannot find on staples site. Thank you in advance.

On the main page, click Shop by Industry - Restaurant - then search "kitchen shears".

Edit: Although I found 3 pages of kitchen shears (with prices from about $7 to over $70), no Browne showed on the list.

Last edited:

No problem Charlie Restaurant & Foodservice Supplies | Staples® there is a coupon code for $25 off $75 {thats more than 33% off!!!} and free shipping over $50, and if you click on an item look for the little "extra X amount off if you buy this in 30 minutes" , I really like buying stuff from that site... They sell the nicer commercial stuff, Dexter Russel, IND std., Browne FS, Edmund, Mundial, Metalcraft, Vollrath, etc... Not like some of the commercial stuff you see in the restaurant B&M stores that is just cheap get you through the week stuff {some restaurant places have decent stuff too, but soe around here have sad commercial equipment inventories}

As far as links to everything I bought that will take a while, but heres a copy and paste from my receipt...

American Metalcraft Six Wheel Pastry Cutter
Item: 412807

Carlisle 2 Silicone Basting Brush Red
Item: 446804

American Metalcraft PPK17 18 Pizza Knife
Item: 453040

American Metalcraft BP23 23 Wood Pizza Bubble Popper
Item: 969362

Browne 1219 912 Chromed Steel Poultry Shears
Item: 409096

Last edited by a moderator:
My poultry shears are ancient. I got them at an estate sale about 30 years ago. They work very well...similar to the poultry shears my mom has (which were my grandma's).

I've got poultry shears that are no name and most likely the cheapest my father could find. He was a cheap SOB just like I am. :)

They are at least 35 years old and are doing fine. They have red paint on the handles if that helps. ;)

Heavy Duty scissors with a hook in one blade is what you're looking for.

I'm not one for name brands. Look at the quality of manufacture of the product and decide if it suits your needs.

This is one of those times that hands on before purchase makes a difference.

If you're breaking them at a high pace then I can only suggest that you're abusing the product by asking it to do more then it's designed to do and need to seek an alternative way to achieve the results you seek. :rolleyes:

I've got poultry shears that are no name and most likely the cheapest my father could find. He was a cheap SOB just like I am. :)

They are at least 35 years old and are doing fine. They have red paint on the handles if that helps. ;)

Heavy Duty scissors with a hook in one blade is what you're looking for.

I'm not one for name brands. Look at the quality of manufacture of the product and decide if it suits your needs.

This is one of those times that hands on before purchase makes a difference.

If you're breaking them at a high pace then I can only suggest that you're abusing the product by asking it to do more then it's designed to do and need to seek an alternative way to achieve the results you seek. :rolleyes:
Exactly, Zagut. Poultry shears are really only designed for cutting through the joints and cutting thin bones (such as ribs) and the gristle-y bits of the carcase, not for hacking through large bones such as the drumstick bones

i have a pair of Henckle scissors I use for things like this (and a bunch of other things).

Are you saying I could get some sort of specialized thing to do it? Sweet... something new for the kitchen!

Back
Top Bottom