"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-27-2015, 10:29 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Poultry shears?

I broke my poultry shears and its my second pair in 2 years, does anyone have a nice pair that has lasted them, no more plastic handles unless they are metal through out... I prefer spring loaded come apart style...

I am leaning towards the Wusthof 5512's Wusthof 5512 9" Poultry Shears I have broken 2 pairs of that cost me about $70 so I really don't care about the cost, I just want a pair that will work and not break.. the amazon reviews of the 5512s is whats keeping me from pulling the trigger...

I was also considering these Heirloom Culinary | Heavy Duty stainless Steel Kitchen Scissors And Shears

but they look very similar to these Amazon.com : GrillPro 41509 Stainless Poultry Shears (Discontinued by Manufacturer) : Cutlery Shears : Home & Kitchen and these Amazon.com: Norpro Professional Poultry Shears: Chicken Shears: Kitchen & Dining

not sure which way to go... A friend of mine who is a prfessional chef said to get the browne food service 1219s that are like $11 I may start there..

Old 01-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
Master Chef

I picked up a pair at the Restaurant Depot like 7-8 years ago. hey were less than 10 bucks. Do not know the brand. Still working just fine. What do you do with the, that they brake?

Old 01-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #3
Executive Chef

several years ago I sprung for these

Amazon.com: CUTCO Model 77 Super Shears still in the box from the factory. . . . . . . . . . . . . . High Carbon Stainless blades and black handles.: Cutco Cutlery: Kitchen & Dining

Cutco kitchen shears and I remain impressed with them.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:06 AM   #4
Master Chef

Same here Charilie,

I have a pair of cheap stainless steel kitchen scissors, made in China, that handle most jobs. Mine are similar to these $8.00 scissors.

When I have a really tough job I use a pair of pruning shears that are reserved for kitchen duty, similar to these.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I picked up a pair at the Restaurant Depot like 7-8 years ago. hey were less than 10 bucks. Do not know the brand. Still working just fine. What do you do with the, that they brake?
The 2 pairs I broke were in 2 separate ways, first I hade a set of cut co's, I was cutting a bone with them and squeezed them {not a huge bone} and they separated, they were never right again, cutco replaced them and I gifted the new pair to my mother. Next was a pair of ergo chefs {I like their stuff} and my fingers didnt fit well into them, I was cutting a chicken bone {not huge either} but holding the outside and they crumbled, that was my fault I was squeezing the outside of the handle not the inside, I broke another pair a long time ago the same way except they didnt snap it just closed the loop, they were metal handles, but then the loop was too small to get my fingers in...
Old 01-27-2015, 11:15 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm in the cheapo camp. I have had a pair of Kitchenaids and a pair of Wusthofs for many years. One came as a free gift with a magazine subscription and the other came with a knife set. The Wusthofs are going for $19.95 on Amazon.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking4to View Post
The 2 pairs I broke were in 2 separate ways, first I hade a set of cut co's, I was cutting a bone with them and squeezed them {not a huge bone} and they separated, they were never right again, cutco replaced them and I gifted the new pair to my mother. Next was a pair of ergo chefs {I like their stuff} and my fingers didnt fit well into them, I was cutting a chicken bone {not huge either} but holding the outside and they crumbled, that was my fault I was squeezing the outside of the handle not the inside, I broke another pair a long time ago the same way except they didnt snap it just closed the loop, they were metal handles, but then the loop was too small to get my fingers in...
Ok, I think you should buy a kitchen band saw, not sheers if yo are planing to keep cutting them bones man. Sorry, could not help my self.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Ok, I think you should buy a kitchen band saw, not sheers if yo are planing to keep cutting them bones man. Sorry, could not help my self.
I have one, lol Its nothing special but WHAT A PAIN IN THE you know what to clean... Mine is same as this one here 550W Stand Up Meat Band Saw Meat Grinder Dual Electric Food Produce Processor | eBay bought it for $140 picked up!!!! It actually works awesome and has a built in meat grinder/sausage stuffer, I use it when I take a deer and sometimes when I buy large primal cuts of beef or pork. Its obviously not in the kitchen, its in the garage with my smoker and a few other meat processing toys..

I could just picture my vegan wifes face if I ever started using a band saw cutting up a chicken in the kitchen, lol, little meat chunks flying everywhere... {actaully it doesnt throw meat anywhere, it works awesome, even that one for $250 shipped is an amazing deal...}
Old 01-27-2015, 09:19 PM   #9
Senior Cook

OK, so I ended up ordering a set of the Browne foodservice commercial shears. I bought them from Staples {yah the office store, they sell restaurant and bar equip too}. I have bought stuff of them before, shipping is slow, expect to wait 2 weeks for your item, but the prices are unbeatable, I mean like 1/2 of amazon on some items!!!

I bought a pizza bubble popper {I have been wanting one for when i grill pizza or make pan style in the oven}, another 6 wheel cutter, some basting brushes, an 18" pizza knife {the style with the small handle on the far side}, and the shears for $60 shipped!!! Not too shabby considering the pizza knife and shears come to $75 on amazon...

Anyway, we will see how the new ones stand up when they come in... thanks for the replies guys..
Old 01-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #10
Master Chef

Kershaw taskmaster shears