Price of Alum foil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I was at the local CT (Canadian Tire) picking up some things. I almost fell over when I saw 250 ft. of foil on sale for 11.49! I haven't bought foil for a long time--I'm still working on using up the 650 ft. roll I got years ago. Was that a pricing error? This was a 4"x8" sign. not on the shelf.

Yowie!! I just put aluminum foil on my grocery list. It seems to me I used to be able to get 200' for a reasonable price. I'll check carefully.

Yowie!! I just put aluminum foil on my grocery list. It seems to me I used to be able to get 200' for a reasonable price. I'll check carefully.

Don't make the mistake that I did and buy the cheap stuff at the dollar store!

I swear you can see through it!

I don't use it often and it always seems like I run out on Thanksgiving or Christmas when I pull out the last few inches. They should put a colored warning stripe on it when you get towards the end of the roll.:ermm:

I buy the commercial roll at Costco. I haven't bought it for a while, but I would bet it is far cheaper.

Same goes for plastic wrap

I buy the commercial roll at Costco. I haven't bought it for a while, but I would bet it is far cheaper.

Yes, I got a plastic wrap from Costco about 15 years ago, it's still hanging on.:LOL:

I was in BJ's last week and noticed the price of foil and plastic wrap, I like glad plastic wrap and it will come out to less than half buying the two big rolls that are bundled together, same with foil.

I wish I had space for one of those BIG rolls!

Don't make the mistake that I did and buy the cheap stuff at the dollar store!

I swear you can see through it!

I don't use it often and it always seems like I run out on Thanksgiving or Christmas when I pull out the last few inches. They should put a colored warning stripe on it when you get towards the end of the roll.:ermm:
Wow! Great idea!

Yep. Although I buy at Sam's Club, it's the only way I'd buy either one. I get two 250 foot rolls for about $13, or one really big commercial roll for about the same. I bought a commercial roll of plastic wrap at least 3 years ago and it's still just getting a good start. That one might last me the rest of my life. ;)

I bought one commercial roll of each to send down to our beach house in the Bahamas, and I'm pretty sure that we'll never need to replenish that supply.

I just looked at the size of my rolls. The foil is 1000 ft, the wrap is 3000 ft. That's a lot of product compared to the supermarket rolls.

I buy the commercial rolls at Costco too. I also use the heavy duty 18" wide rolls too.
Aluminum is expensive. We recently demolished our sunroom and got several hundred dollars from all the aluminum parts at the recycler. We recycle all aluminum, including foil.

I realize aluminium (like other metals) is expensive, I was just surprised at the price. We recycle all of our aluminium--having a forge and a cupela (sp) and a machine shop, well, metal is valuable to us.

I was in BJ's last week and noticed the price of foil and plastic wrap, I like glad plastic wrap and it will come out to less than half buying the two big rolls that are bundled together, same with foil.

I wish I had space for one of those BIG rolls!

You made me go look in my pantry with your last statement. I think I could hang rolls under my shelves. You may be able to too. I bet a 1/2'' galvanized flange,elbow,coupling and some pipe would work good.

I bought a box of aluminum foil sheets that are leafed -- like facial tissues -- for a better price per square foot than the rolled type at a restaurant supply place. But it's so often not the length I need that I end up using the rolls. I think buying the national brand heavy duty is worth the money for the quality difference from the store brand. And I pinch pennies 'til Mr. Lincoln hollers.

I got the big roll plastic wrap in a box once upon a time when I had more counter space. I really loved the little slider/cutter on the box.

tinlizzie said:
I bought a box of aluminum foil sheets that are leafed -- like facial tissues -- for a better price per square foot than the rolled type at a restaurant supply place. But it's so often not the length I need that I end up using the rolls. I think buying the national brand heavy duty is worth the money for the quality difference from the store brand. And I pinch pennies 'til Mr. Lincoln hollers.

I got the big roll plastic wrap in a box once upon a time when I had more counter space. I really loved the little slider/cutter on the box.

I am quite thrifty, and buy store brands often, but have never seen a "heavy duty" store brand nearly as good and heavy as Reynolds, so I suck it up and buy that.

4meandthem said:
You made me go look in my pantry with your last statement. I think I could hang rolls under my shelves. You may be able to too. I bet a 1/2'' galvanized flange,elbow,coupling and some pipe would work good.

I am about ready to organize my baking/snack pantry in hopes of finding a place in there. I also have an equipment pantry (converted coat closet) and I'm thinking maybe room could be made in there. I have a tiny kitchen, but have been able to squeeze out a respectable amount of storage space. I just have to manage it a bit better.

Back
Top Bottom