Proper Non-stick Pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I buy a set of 3 aluminium fry pans, 12-, 10, and 8-inch, with non-tick coating for around $21.00 at Target.

When they wear out, I toss them in the recycle bin and buy new ones.

I do the same except I. Hi them at Costco. They usually have Tramontina set of three. Each set has been lasting 7-10 years.

Occasional high heat has not harmed them.

I have 2 (9 1/2”) Scanpans for over 10 years. I use for eggs. I do use some butter to cook with. No problems.

View attachment 30132

I got them at a “try me” price of $35.00 each. Not bad for 10 years of use.

My Scanpan lasted all of a month before eggs started...nevermind. That's a good price. They retail for a lot more than that. In a review, I said that if you heat the pan up beyond a certain temp, a Scanpan won't non-stick anymore. I heated it up just a little too high, I guess. I was dissapointed. Scan Pans are very finicky with regards to heat. A few degrees too high and they are no longer non-stick. My experience with that expensive brand. Yes, I used butter or oil. I tried making hash brown potatoes. Afterwards, I had problems with the non-stick.
Caslon, didn't it come with a warranty? I have no issues and haven't made sure not to use it on high heat.
We purchased a Scanpan many years ago. It was an oven proof 14" skillet, with lid and cost $300.00. You can use metal utensils in it and it is the best non-stick pan we've ever had.
I'm very happy with my Scanpan. I didn't get the oven proof kind with the removable handle though.

I buy a set of 3 aluminium fry pans, 12-, 10, and 8-inch, with non-tick coating for around $21.00 at Target.

When they wear out, I toss them in the recycle bin and buy new ones.
This is what I used to do when I had to share my kitchen with my father's very destructive caregiver with an "if it ain't mine I don't give a shit" attitude. Now that my father's gone and so is the caregiver, I got myself a little one bedroom apartment in San Diego, and I am the only one using my kitchen, so I bought a set of T-Fal Specialty Non-stick 8", 9.5", & 11" fry pan set and a T-fal Culinaire Non-Stick 5 Qt. Jumbo Cooker at an auction house for a total of $40.00 American. I have had them for over 3 years and THEY. DO. NOT. SCRATCH! I have even used metal utensils, gently of course!
31ABa3MhscL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_PIStarRatingFIVE%2CBottomLeft%2C360%2C-6_SR600%2C315_ZA15%2C445%2C290%2C400%2C400%2CAmazonEmberBold%2C12%2C4%2C0%2C0%2C5_SCLZZZZZZZ_FMpng_BG255%2C255%2C255.jpg

My Scanpan lasted all of a month before eggs started...nevermind. That's a good price. They retail for a lot more than that. In a review, I said that if you heat the pan up beyond a certain temp, a Scanpan won't non-stick anymore. I heated it up just a little too high, I guess. I was dissapointed. Scan Pans are very finicky with regards to heat. A few degrees too high and they are no longer non-stick. My experience with that expensive brand. Yes, I used butter or oil. I tried making hash brown potatoes. Afterwards, I had problems with the non-stick.
You and a couple of other responders are right about the damage done by high heat. And I recommend heating SLOWLY, too. (Slowly, too, with copper pans--they don't discolor over the flame quite as much if you heat them slowly--in my experience, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom