"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2018, 05:17 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Proper Non-stick Pan

Anybody out there know of any reliable non-stick pans? I've tried a few and they lasted for maybe a week or two before I needed to use a solid layer of cooking oil to make things not stick. Granted they weren't super expensive pans. If anyone has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated.

Snackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:43 PM   #2
Master Chef

Hi Snackmeister, and welcome to Discuss Cooking.

Gosh, even the least expensive non-stick pans should last longer than a couple of weeks, as long as you're using teflon or wooden utensils on them and not exposing the pans to excessive heat.

Walmart has sets of 2 different sizes for maybe $20 or so - I don't remember the brand name.....but again, they need a certain amount of care and they will last at least a year or more.

I have a few of those, but my favorite non stick skillet is a heavy Calphalon. I think it was around $30 at Marshalls several years ago and is still blemish free and non stick.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
Master Chef

Ooops, I just looked and it's All Clad, not Calphalon. Nice non stick skillet, though.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:10 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I have 2 (9 1/2”) Scanpans for over 10 years. I use for eggs. I do use some butter to cook with. No problems.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5B7CFCFE-54BD-4C51-AFD6-9CE1C1B06059.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	30132

I got them at a “try me” price of $35.00 each. Not bad for 10 years of use.
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:45 PM   #5
Executive Chef

My non-sticks are from the restaurant supply store, and they last for years. My mom uses Analon non-stick, and they seem to work well. I never have problems with them when I cook in her kitchen.

Keep in mind, they work best at medium to low heat. I don't use them to sear meats, where you need high heat.

With my non-stick pans, at the most, I use a little bit of butter when I cook eggs, which is more for flavor than sticking. I'll also use a little OO to sauté onions and other veggies, but again, it is more for flavor.

My best advice is don't use non-stick pans for high-heat cooking. If you want to char a steak, use cast-iron. Ceramic coated cast-iron like le Crueset is somewhat non-stick -- or at least easy to clean after you char something, and leave some crust behind.

CD
Old 06-02-2018, 08:00 PM   #6
Head Chef

ATK recommends the Oxo non stick pan. I have one, and am quite happy with it ($32 at BB&B with the 20% off coupon). The T-Fal gets high recommendations, but it has a convex bottom, which I don't want.
tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:08 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I've had 3 of THESE (8", 12", and 14")for several years now with no real problems. The 12" one is about 8 years old, and has lost some of its slipperiness, but it still works for most things, including scrambled eggs. All pans need a little oil, even the best nonstick. I only use wood and plastic/silicone utensils and avoid high heat, especially when the pan is dry.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:38 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I have 2 (9 1/2”) Scanpans for over 10 years. I use for eggs. I do use some butter to cook with. No problems.

Attachment 30132

I got them at a “try me” price of $35.00 each. Not bad for 10 years of use.
My Scanpan lasted all of a month before eggs started...nevermind. That's a good price. They retail for a lot more than that. In a review, I said that if you heat the pan up beyond a certain temp, a Scanpan won't non-stick anymore. I heated it up just a little too high, I guess. I was dissapointed. Scan Pans are very finicky with regards to heat. A few degrees too high and they are no longer non-stick. My experience with that expensive brand. Yes, I used butter or oil. I tried making hash brown potatoes. Afterwards, I had problems with the non-stick.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:04 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I own a set of the large and smaller Calophon fry pans now. They do better than my tossed set of ScanPans, sorry to say. I wanted to like them. Again I say, ScanPans cost a lot.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:18 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I've had 3 of THESE (8", 12", and 14")for several years now with no real problems. The 12" one is about 8 years old, and has lost some of its slipperiness, but it still works for most things, including scrambled eggs. All pans need a little oil, even the best nonstick. I only use wood and plastic/silicone utensils and avoid high heat, especially when the pan is dry.
Thanks for the recommendation. My wife is from the planet Teflon, so she is widely known as a destroyer of all things non-stick. I've thrown in the towel and just expect any n/s pans I buy will soon meet their death.

Larger, less expensive pans works for me.

buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote