Question about icing instruments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SueBear

Senior Cook
I'm not sure what you call them so forgive me. I'm looking at purchasing one but if I don't have to I won't. I have tons of spatulas and considered using one but not sure if that's really a smart idea as I've seen many use something different when icing cakes, cup cakes, cookies with something different.

What does everyone here use? I don't want to spend a lot of money yet I'd like to get good results when I do put frosting on a cake and have it spread evenly. I hope that makes sense. I've heard that when you use a regular knife you don't get that in comparison with a baker's knife of some sort.

Help is greatly appreciated on this issue. Thanks in advance.

Sue

I always used a spatula for most cakes, but if I want it real smooth with no waves then I go with a bakers knife set I have. It came with three different sized knives for different sized projects from cupcake size (never used them on a cupcake though) up to layered cakes.
We also have a set of metal utensils we use. Not sure what they are called as we got them many many years ago, but they look like a rectangular peice of metal with a handle on one of the long edges (think butchers knife with no edge). They are intended to create a perfectly smooth surface on the cake. I have seen some bakers use the plastic version of these on cooking shows as well. Just a rectangular peice of thin plastic used to smooth the sides.

Okay, that makes sense. There are a few different size spatulas that I have which I can try out before purchasing something specific. Thanks for the info about that product, I'll remember that about the cupcakes if I ever purchase it.

An offset spatula is your best tool for spreading frosting on a cake. Having said that, I simply use a good, sturdy rubber spatula that is about 2 1/2 inches wide and 5 inches long.

Back
Top Bottom