Question about potato ricer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've used them in bread, CharlieD. I also have used them to feed a sick dog...but I personally would never dream of passing them off as mashed potatoes!

Instant potato flakes/buds can be very useful and I always have them on hand. They are great to thicken up a crock pot gravy for example. Since crock pots don't come to a boil, how else can it be done?

Instant potato flakes/buds can be very useful and I always have them on hand. They are great to thicken up a crock pot gravy for example. Since crock pots don't come to a boil, how else can it be done?

I love that idea, Kayelle. I just bought a crock pot so I've been looking for ways to use it. Thanks for the tip.

You're very welcome Z !! Just add them a little at a time and wait a bit to see if you need more for the gravy consistency you're looking for. It works very well.

Actually instant potatoes have come a very long way since they were viewed as wallpaper paste years ago. I suspect that those who have a strong negative feeling about them, haven't tried them in a very long time..

I have used instant mashed potatoes in the distant past and found them decent. Not so decent that they replace the real thing but not so disgusting either.

Cooking for one, I don't mind instant, and always have some on hand. It's hard to use up even a 3# bag of potatoes before some go bad. I buy them only occasionally.

I know I could buy separate potatoes, but I don't like the kind they have for mashing.

I add minced (jar) garlic and cheese to dress up the instant potatoes. They really aren't bad at all.

Last edited:
I'm always surprised at how expensive potatoes are when I go down to NY. We grow our own potatoes, but when we run out, we do end up buying potatoes, but I don't buy them in NY. It might be because I'm partial to potatoes from PEI if not my own garden. I can see where instant potatoes could help stretch a food budget. I use tapioca as a thickening agent in stovetop stews...

I might try this next year if the potato harvest is good:

http://www.pickyourown.org/freezing_potatoes.htm

Last edited:
I've used the instant mashed potato flakes also as breading, for frying and topping casseroles. Also, as fillers in croquettes and meat loafs. I prefer my mash chunky, so I don't have a ricer. For creamy mash, and turning potatoes into dough, a ricer might be a necessary utensil.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom