Question about thermometers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Hi. DH wants fish and chips for dinner tonight. I have a candy thermometer, but not a deep-fry thermometer. Can I use the candy therm. to measure oil temp? TIA.

If the thermometer's temperature range covers the hot oil temperature range of 325F to 400F you can use it.

What is it's top temperature marking?? It would need to be in the 400*+ Range...
Not that you will fry that hot...but this will tell you if the thermometer is suited for frying temps!!

otherwise just drop a cube of bread into the hot oil. It should immediately have bubbles form around the bread and from memory it moves around. If it the bubbles don't happen or are slow in happening, not hot enough. If the bread starts burning, too hot.

I finally found it ;) Another casualty of the renovation. It measures up to 550*F, so I guess it will work :cool: Thanks, Andy, UB and Bilby.

I thought you might like to see what DH and I rigged up for the frying thermometer. It was my ingenious idea to use a hacksaw blade to hold the thermometer off the bottom of the pot. The thermometer fits neatly in the hole at the end of the blade, and a garbage bag tie holds the thermometer to the pot. Worked great :)

frying_thermometer.jpg

I thought you might like to see what DH and I rigged up for the frying thermometer. It was my ingenious idea to use a hacksaw blade to hold the thermometer off the bottom of the pot. The thermometer fits neatly in the hole at the end of the blade, and a garbage bag tie holds the thermometer to the pot. Worked great :)

Macgyver would be proud! :)

Very clever, GG! I like to use the digital thermometer for easier reading even though I have a candy/frying thermometer.

LOL - VERY cleaver GG! Not only would MacGyver be impressed - you might also be able to get a part-time job in the IMF (Impossible Mission Force) lab! Or, maybe compete to replace Agent 99's spot as a smarter sidekick for CONTROL's top Agent 86? :cool:

Most candy/fry thermometers are "clip on". You can get these all kinds of places - KMart, Target (WalMart used to carry them - so did my Albertsons grocery store) ... to high-end places like Williams Sanoma, etc.

If you want to take your talents and transform that hack-saw blade to a thermometer clip - here's a picture ...

618KYr1YLDL._AA280_.gif

I clip a small one of these to the side of the pan and putting my instant read thermometer probe through one of the handles into the liquid.

Last edited:
I clip a small one of these to the side of the pan and putting my instant read thermometer probe through one of the handles into the liquid.

Well, that's cool ... I thought about it, but I was afraid the plastic might melt against the pot. I guess not :) Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom