Questioning the need for a scoop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SueBear

Senior Cook
I was just watching one show of Good Eats where Alton was discussing the making of meatballs and he was using a scoop. For years I have used my hands however now I am considering the idea of purchasing one. I wonder if there is a particular name I should look for since this is a specific item.

I never have used one before but I would like to learn. Any helpful information is greatly appreciated. I did a search on google but not sure if I'm looking for the correct information.

Sue, I love my scoops. I think I may have at least 5 different sizes. I use them for so many things. I make meatballs, portion meat mixtures for hamburgers (pressing flat after, of course), portioning cookie dough for uniform cookies, setting up pretty plates of chicken/tuna/salmon salad on lettuce leaves, plus too many other uses to mention.

Sue, I love my scoops. I think I may have at least 5 different sizes. I use them for so many things. I make meatballs, portion meat mixtures for hamburgers (pressing flat after, of course), portioning cookie dough for uniform cookies, setting up pretty plates of chicken/tuna/salmon salad on lettuce leaves, plus too many other uses to mention.

When I went to Wal-mart the other day I had seen them but wasn't sure if that was actually a good idea or not to get them there. Can I ask what size did you get and where did you get your's at?

They should be readily available at any home mega store. Like stated, they are the best way to ensure uniformity, nothing wrong with the way mama used to do it though.

You can buy them at restaurant supply stores in different sizes and they are available on line. They work to make meatballs, and uniform sized cookies or pancakes, etc.

You can buy them at restaurant supply stores in different sizes and they are available on line. They work to make meatballs, and uniform sized cookies or pancakes, etc.

That was my reason for obtaining a few of them. :chef:

Will start my hunting on Google. Thanks Andy!

Why purchase one more item that has to be washed and stored when the perfect tool is already attached to your body?

I use scoops for three things - cupcake batter, giant chocolate chip cookies and ice cream.

Most of the meat will stick inside the scoop, anyway, forcing you to dig it out and reshape it (with your hands, I might add). If you'll have to go to that trouble, anyway, why not just stick to what works already?

I use scoops for many things, but meatballs is not one of them, unless I need them to be exactly the same size, but I still roll them between my palms. imho, the scoop does not make them the density I like and expect. To me they're kinda "fluffy" if they're not compacted by the palms.

The only reason to use a "scoop" is for uniformity of size - which, if I remember right, was the point Alton Brown was trying to make. I got mine at a local restaurant supply store - and there they are called "dishers".

I use my scoop for ice cream...period. Although I have entertained the idea of using it for meatballs. Now reading some of the posts it doesn't seem like something I want to do.

The only reason to use a "scoop" is for uniformity of size - which, if I remember right, was the point Alton Brown was trying to make. I got mine at a local restaurant supply store - and there they are called "dishers".

yeah, "dishers!" Well, when you've been making meatballs the same size for as many years as my mom did, and as I have, now... pretty much they all turn out the same size without a scoop! I used to have my catering staff use a scoop, because they weren't as experienced "rollers" as I was... :ROFLMAO:

It sounds superfluous for home cooking to me. Who cares if a couple of meatballs turn out a little larger than a quarter? Most of them will be pretty uniform...

When I went to Wal-mart the other day I had seen them but wasn't sure if that was actually a good idea or not to get them there. Can I ask what size did you get and where did you get your's at?

I purchased most of mine at restaurant supply stores, but they are available other places, too.

When it comes to meatballs, I've never had any of the meat mixture stick to the bowl of the "disher." Plus, I also take the portioned amount and roll it in my hands to compress the meat so that the meatballs are somewhat firm.

Yes, another use for the scoops is to portion out pancake and cupcake batter. I'd forgotten about those uses.

I purchased most of mine at restaurant supply stores, but they are available other places, too.

When it comes to meatballs, I've never had any of the meat mixture stick to the bowl of the "disher." Plus, I also take the portioned amount and roll it in my hands to compress the meat so that the meatballs are somewhat firm.

Yes, another use for the scoops is to portion out pancake and cupcake batter. I'd forgotten about those uses.

The idea of obtaining one of these will make my life just a bit easier as I am a full time business graduate student. Needless to say my time can get rather limited for what I like to do with my cooking habits so it revolves around my graduate studies at the moment. Anything that will help make cooking just a little easier during this transition I will surely take advantage of it. :chef:

I appreciate everyone's help!

I consider my #16 disher essential to uniform cookie sizing, which is key to uniform cookie making! It's the only one in my arsenal at the moment, but cookies are really all I make that requires it.

Fun fact: disher sizes are the number of scoops that equal a quart!

I consider my #16 disher essential to uniform cookie sizing, which is key to uniform cookie making! It's the only one in my arsenal at the moment, but cookies are really all I make that requires it.

Fun fact: disher sizes are the number of scoops that equal a quart!

Interesting fact, DrThunder88!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom