? Re: Poulder Double Prong Digital Remote Thermometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michelemarie

Executive Chef
I have the Poulder digital remote thermometer with two prongs. I like the thermometer alot - except for -- last night while using it in very thick pork chops on my weber gas grill the remote was not registering the true temperature of the chops. I was not too far away - about 15 feet. Has anyone who has this thermometer had this kind of problem before?

I don't have a wireless remote one. Did the temp. change when you got closer or went farther away?

I love my Poulder, but the temperature probes seem sensitive to the grill.

Can't comment on the double probe model, but I have "cooked" more than one probe with too high temps on the grill. I find good success by doing my "searing" first, then use the probe by arranging the meat/chicken/small amimals etc, so that the probe is not directly over the hottest part of the flame. Works so far- been 2x years now...

Hopz said:
I love my Poulder, but the temperature probes seem sensitive to the grill.

Can't comment on the double probe model, but I have "cooked" more than one probe with too high temps on the grill. I find good success by doing my "searing" first, then use the probe by arranging the meat/chicken/small amimals etc, so that the probe is not directly over the hottest part of the flame. Works so far- been 2x years now...

Same thing happened to me and I now do as Hopz does.

Thanks Hopz. Have you used your thermometer as an "instant read" - that was what I started out trying but when the meat wasn't done I left the probe in - but it ended up overcooked because the remote wasn't registering the true temp.

Andy M - the temperatureon the remote did not raise or lower no matter where I went - this seems so strange to me.:(

Test the accuracy by sticking the probes into a pan of boiling water and a bowl containing ice water and ice cubes. The readings should be 212 F and 32 F. In both tests, swirl the probes around constantly while collecting readings.

If they are not accurate, return the whole mess and get a refund.

Thanks Andy M - I will test it. The problem about returning - it was a few months back and DH got it online - we don't even have the boxes :mad: . If it is not accurate I may see if they have a manufacturer's warranty. This is why I like to buy from stores. I will let you know the result of the test.

Ahaaa - I will do that first. Question - I was under the impression that a probe should not be put in water - is this correct? If so, then I can't do the water test - or am I wrong?

Check your product directions. However, I have a Polder probe and have stuck it in water. The probe that goes into the meat should be OK. The rest of the unit cannot get wet.

Back
Top Bottom