"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 09-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I too use a 3 ring notebook. I start by writing a recipe as I make the dish, then make notes on it of changes and what worked or didn't work. As I make changes eventually when I have the recipe the way I want it, I type it up and print out a copy which is stapled on top of the previous versions.

I also have 4 X 6 index cards in a recipe box for short recipes. I include notes for round two recipes, i.e., taco meat is used for tacos, burritos, taco mac & cheese, or chili. I always make a lot for that purpose.

I also use a separate notebook for recipes I want to try.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #12
Sous Chef

I have a Microsoft Publisher program and copy and paste into that. I can do a word search and find what I'm looking for. If I spot a recipe in the newspaper or magazine, I check to see if it's on line, if so, it's copied and pasted into that file. If not, I clip it and it goes into a folder in a file cabinet (wood).

Old 09-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Steve, have you considered displaying your ingredients list in two columns? Saves vertical space and allows me to keep almost all my recipes to one page.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I also use Living Cookbook - very nice program. It will break down nutritional info and recipes are easily re-worked for more or less servings with a simple click of the mouse.

I have all mine backed up and those that are TNT are printed and put in a 3 ring binder. I do use page protectors simply because I am a "splasher".

I like that book holder GG .... think I will ask DH to make one for me.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Steve, have you considered displaying your ingredients list in two columns? Saves vertical space and allows me to keep almost all my recipes to one page.
Now there's a thought.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #16
Master Chef

I'm old fashioned. I have the card file. They are hand written cards. Some are in Grandma's handwriting and I have some my mom wrote out (both are now in heaven) so those are precious. I copy recipes from here into word and print it out to try. If we like it, it gets a card. If we don't, it gets recycled. I thought about typing up all my cards but I like the convenience of the card. I use a clothespin on a magnet to hold the card to my stove hood. They also travel nicely in my wallet when we go to my in-laws or I go to the store.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #17
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Hadn't thought of that, but it's a good idea. On my laptop I also have the option of displaying two pages side by side, but it can be a little hard to read.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Hadn't thought of that, but it's a good idea. On my laptop I also have the option of displaying two pages side by side, but it can be a little hard to read.
I can do that too but can't read it. I rarely cook from a recipe on the computer. I flip open my book and use the paper. I often make changes or notes so this works for me.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have mine on the computer, print out when I use a recipe. On the inside of a cupboard door I have a spot of velcro and I use a sheet protector with the opposing velcro spot and hang it there. The cupboard door doesn't interfere with anything except the back door. If I like the recipe it goes into a notebook.

I just use a Word recipe template. I still have the recipe file box I started in Junior High School and it's chock full. One of these days I may get around to getting all those recipes in the computer except for the cards handwritten by a friendly lunch lady I met when I was in grade school, she made them out for me when I asked for the recipes of school lunch food. Her name was Izola and she is no longer with us.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:01 AM   #20
Proud American

I found an old Dell laptop with Windows 95. It was for $20.00 in a yard sale. I put recipes on it and use it for the kitchen and cooking computer. It is too old and too slow for the Internet but it works well for this application.

Your friend,
~Cat

Tags
recipe