"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 09-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I am now the proud owner of Living Cookbook. Now I need to learn how to use it.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

I place all my recipes in my computer and then transfer them to a flash file. I do this every time I enter a new recipe. This way I have them in two locations. Inside the Recipe folder, I have it broken down into separate folders for breads, pasta, desserts, etc. That flash file is mentioned in my will. Many of the recipes have personal notes.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Thanks, but I have the Pepperplate app now. Actually, it's mostly for those times that it would never occur to me that I might need a recipe and then it turns out that it would be handy to look one up.
I'm talking about a trip packing list to remind you what you need to pack for a trip
Old 09-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I place all my recipes in my computer and then transfer them to a flash file. I do this every time I enter a new recipe. This way I have them in two locations. Inside the Recipe folder, I have it broken down into separate folders for breads, pasta, desserts, etc. That flash file is mentioned in my will. Many of the recipes have personal notes.
FYI, as magnetic media, hard drives and flash drives are both subject to failure. I back up my computer to an online service. There are several; I use Backblaze. It's $50 per year for priceless peace of mind.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

Congrats PF !!

Once you get the hang of it you will really appreciate it.

I love it and sure hope you do too.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:39 PM   #36
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm going to play with it more tomorrow. I haven't yet tried to C&P a recipe into it. I've been going through it and see what all it has.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I do the same as Andy, with the addition of a program called Living Cookbook. I don't put all my recipes in LC, but it's handy for copying recipes from the Internet and changing them up to suit our tastes before printing, and I put in my own recipes, too. When you copy recipes from online, there's a place to paste the entire recipe, then highlight items and click Source, Ingredients, Procedure, etc. and add tips and photos.

It also will easily change the number of servings and tell me how much of each ingredient I need and nutrition information for each recipe, so I can tweak based on that, if I want. It's good for keeping track of menus, too. For example, DH takes a group of teachers on a retreat every year and I have the recipes in folders for different meals (Mexican, Italian, low-country boil, etc.).

Now, I actually have three 3-ring binders: one for baking, one for appies, beverages, soups, stocks, sandwiches, etc., and one for meats, poultry, seafood, salads, sides, etc. I print on regular printer paper and have a 3-ring hole punch on my desk, so I just put the sheets in the binder.
I use Living Cookbook too. Great program. But the recipes I print out just live in a stack in a kitchen drawer. When they get too beat up, I reprint. However, I don't print that many, as I just access them from the laptop most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I lost one laptop to a spilled glass of wine. Knowing me, computer in the kitchen is an accident waiting to happen. I also don't really have any counter space for it. I can just see it squeezed in somewhere and getting knocked onto the floor.

I am all in favour of saving trees and computers.
Fortunately when we designed this house, we got a bit carried away with the kitchen. I think I have counter space I haven't even found yet. Very easy to put my laptop on one end of the island and none of my work is done within 5 feet of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Congrats and have fun with it. The screen capture feature is a timesaving godsend, and much better designed than the similar feature I used to have with Now You're Cooking.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #38
Assistant Cook

I'm using the free version of Big Oven to store mine. When I find a decent recipe then I'll add it to the program including any substitutions I've made to take account of my dietary needs. Next time I use it I'll just print a copy (in draft mode - saves ink) and then throw the paper out when I'm done. I'll also use the Recipe boxes at Allrecipes and Food.com for free online storage.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #39
Senior Cook

We don't own a computer. So, I have my hundreds of cookbooks, 3x5 cards, and binders. I mark all recipes with signal dots. Green for good, yellow for retry and red for yuck. I also date everything and write in margins all over my cookbooks. I tend to put 3x5 s on covers with pages for favorites. Some day, if I ever get a computer, I want to consolidate my recipes and recipe blog, too. As it is, I live on my smart phone. I use Pinterest to store lots of stuff, as it is easy on a phone. I still love cookbooks, there are so many forgotten gems in them. I don't need pictures.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I have a big ziplock in the cupboard that holds years of clipped and saved recipes.

I like The Recipe Box app for iPad.

Tags
recipe