"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 09-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Recipe Storage Solutions

How do you store recipes? For years I've had a note book (3 ring binder type) that I added pages to but since most recipes get spit out of my printer this involved printing, then cutting them and taping them to the notebook page - totally horrible.

I've looked at some recipe apps but ultimately don't want a digital interface - I want a written recipe propped up on my counter. So I've been thinking of an old school recipe box that would hold large index cards (which I can run through my printer). Some of them have a slot in the top of the lid you can prop up your card in - seems handy-ish.

What do you use?

Old 09-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

8.5x11 sheets in a 3" three-ring binder with dividers by recipe category. The "original" is on my computer and backed up. I don't use plastic sheet protectors. They're too costly, take up a ton of space in the binder and it's much cheaper to reprint a soiled or modified page.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I use digital storage, 8 Gb thumb drive. Recipes are Word documents (RTF). When I want to use one, I print it and the printed recipe goes into a three ring notebook afterwards.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I do the same as Andy, with the addition of a program called Living Cookbook. I don't put all my recipes in LC, but it's handy for copying recipes from the Internet and changing them up to suit our tastes before printing, and I put in my own recipes, too. When you copy recipes from online, there's a place to paste the entire recipe, then highlight items and click Source, Ingredients, Procedure, etc. and add tips and photos.

It also will easily change the number of servings and tell me how much of each ingredient I need and nutrition information for each recipe, so I can tweak based on that, if I want. It's good for keeping track of menus, too. For example, DH takes a group of teachers on a retreat every year and I have the recipes in folders for different meals (Mexican, Italian, low-country boil, etc.).

Now, I actually have three 3-ring binders: one for baking, one for appies, beverages, soups, stocks, sandwiches, etc., and one for meats, poultry, seafood, salads, sides, etc. I print on regular printer paper and have a 3-ring hole punch on my desk, so I just put the sheets in the binder.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I've tried various recipe/cookbook software and was not pleased with any. The only real benefit was the ability to calculate nutritional information easily.

I use MS Word and maintain a standard recipe format with consistent measurement abbreviations, font type and size, etc.

Only recipes I will use regularly are printed and put into to three-ring binder.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Also, several years ago when DH was a high school teacher, he bought a recipe holder for me from the shop class. I keep it on a bookshelf with my cookbooks when it's not in use:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-13 14.40.22.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	18623   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-13 14.41.30.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	18624  

Old 09-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've tried various recipe/cookbook software and was not pleased with any. The only real benefit was the ability to calculate nutritional information easily.

I use MS Word and maintain a standard recipe format with consistent measurement abbreviations, font type and size, etc.

Only recipes I will use regularly are printed and put into to three-ring binder.
Whatever works for you I used MasterChef for a while, then they stopped supporting it and making new versions, so I went without for a while. I found I missed it, so I looked for different software and found Living Cookbook.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Pretty much like Andy, but I type mine up in Libre Office, copy and paste to text, or to libre office if there are photos, and lots, I just print them to a PDF. I use the free version of PDF-XChange Viewer. It lets me add notes, text boxes, and callout bubbles to my file.

I take the printed copy and stick it on the fridge with a couple of magnets when I want to use the recipe. I don't usually print a recipe until I am going to make it.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
Wine Guy

I'm trying to save trees. I keep all of my recipes in MS Word format and store them in Dropbox. I have them categorized in different folders. Using the Windows search feature, I can search by ingredients or keywords. I usually have my laptop or tablet in the kitchen, so I just pull it up and read off the screen. Of course I also have the option of printing it out, too.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I lost one laptop to a spilled glass of wine. Knowing me, computer in the kitchen is an accident waiting to happen. I also don't really have any counter space for it. I can just see it squeezed in somewhere and getting knocked onto the floor.

I am all in favour of saving trees and computers.

Tags
recipe